Microsoft reveals full lineup of planned Windows 10 editions

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows editions home mobile pro enterprise education mobile enterpris windows 10 windows 10 editions windows 10 home windows 10 mobile windows 10 pro windows 10 enterprise windows 10 education windows 10 mobile enterprise windows 10 iot core

Windows 10 is coming this summer and when it arrives, it’ll do so in grand fashion across a bevy of devices and platforms. To help sort everything out, Microsoft has revealed the tailored “Editions” it plans to offer for various device families.

Starting at the top is Windows 10 Home, the consumer-focused desktop version that most users will likely end up going with. It’ll come loaded with all of the new innovations Microsoft has been talking up over the past several months including Cortana, the Microsoft Edge web browser and Windows Hello, just to name a few.

Windows 10 Pro is another desktop variant for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s that expands on the features of the Home edition for small businesses. Building on that is Windows 10 Enterprise which adds even more advanced features to meet the needs of medium and large sized organizations. It’ll be available to volume licensing customers for large-scale applications.

microsoft windows editions home mobile pro enterprise education mobile enterpris windows 10 windows 10 editions windows 10 home windows 10 mobile windows 10 pro windows 10 enterprise windows 10 education windows 10 mobile enterprise windows 10 iot core

Both Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise include the option to use Windows Update for Business, a new service that will give IT professionals much more control regarding when and how updates are deployed to users.

Windows 10 Education is based on the framework of Windows 10 Enterprise and predictably, is designed for school staff, administrators, teachers and students. It’ll be offered through academic volume licensing with paths for schools and students running Home and Pro to upgrade to Windows 10 Education.

Windows 10 Mobile and Mobile Enterprise are best suited for smartphones and small tablets with the latter obviously designed for business users.

Last but not least, Microsoft says there will be versions of Enterprise and Mobile Enterprise for industry devices like ATMs, retail point of sale, handheld terminals and industrial robotics as well as an IoT Core edition for small footprint, low cost devices like gateways.

Permalink to story.

Way too much "editions" by the way it looks, at least there's only 2 consumer editions like with win 8.

The education version sounds very exciting, hopefully this will allow schools who continue to downgrade pc's that already have win 7 installed to xp (like my high school, luckily I have graduated last year so the ancient windows isn't in my system) or schools who don't have enough money in their tech budget to upgrade or update the (ageing) computer systems.

I thought MS was done with this crap. I mean it's not bad or anything but it is kind of annoying and people who are tech illiterate won't know which one to get.

I know the title of this article is meant to incite rage like WHY ARE THEY RELEASING SO MANY VERSIONS GRRR M$ but if you actually read it you'll see that a lot of them are intended for business, and do you really think that MS is going to market Windows 10 Enterprise and Education and such to consumers? The only ones made for consumers are Home, Mobile, and maaaybe Pro. There isn't going to be consumer confusion like there was last time when basic, premium, ultimate, etc were all marketed towards consumers. If you're a consumer, you have no reason to care about an enterprise OS, and MS knows this, so they're not going to market it like a consumer OS.

Why are people complaining about the number of windows versions when MS is actually releasing fewer than expected?
every version makes sense and normal consumers will only be interested in Home and Pro windows.

We just don't like their type around here. We huff and puff whenever they are mentioned.

So it's pretty much just "Home" or "Pro" for consumers then... I see no cause for panic here. I really hope the Home edition includes the backup/restore function, because that's the only reason I've avoided earlier Home editions. It's not often that I've had to restore my system from a drive image, but I like having the option.

O.K. So now there's several versions of windows. Now I have 8.1 pro on one machine 7 Ultimate on another and win 7 Basic on another....NOW do I get a free upgrade path to 10 Pro the 8.1 pro,/win 10 educational-enterprise on the 7 Ult/ and win 10 home on the 7 basic. Or does everyone get the basic and have to pay for the upgrades?

O.K. So now there's several versions of windows. Now I have 8.1 pro on one machine 7 Ultimate on another and win 7 Basic on another....NOW do I get a free upgrade path to 10 Pro the 8.1 pro,/win 10 educational-enterprise on the 7 Ult/ and win 10 home on the 7 basic. Or does everyone get the basic and have to pay for the upgrades?
This is what I need answered as well.

Found it.
There are some nuances to the upgrades that aren’t fully explored in the blog post — for example, do school machines running standard Windows 7 / Windows 8 get an upgrade to regular Windows 10 Home or to Windows 10 Education? For 99% of consumers, however, the process is simple: If you owned Windows 7 Home or Windows 8, you get Windows 10 Home. If you owned Windows 7 or Windows 8 Pro, you get Windows 10 Pro.
from extremetech.

Back