Microsoft reveals Windows 10 desktop and mobile hardware requirements

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has fed the tech community a steady diet of Windows 10 information this week. In addition to revealing a summer launch window across 190 countries, demonstrating a new biometric authentication process and providing some Xiaomi users with a custom Windows 10 ROM, the Redmond-based company is now offering up new information and requirements for what could be its biggest OS launch to date.

During the Windows Hardware Engineering (WinHEC) conference currently going on in Shenzhen, Microsoft confessed that Windows 10 phones can have a potential screen size between three inches and 7.99 inches. Obviously, the lower and upper limits are hypothetical as a 3-inch smartphone wouldn’t make much sense. Given the current phablet craze, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a massive 8-inch handset.

windows microsoft smartphone operating system 64-bit pirated 32-bit windows 10 requirements genuine windows

Flagship Windows 10 smartphones will be required to carry a minimum display resolution of 2,560 x 2,048 and have at least 4GB of RAM on tap. Standard phones, meanwhile, are only required to run 800 x 480 up to 854 x 480 and have just 512MB of memory while all phones must have at least 4GB of onboard storage (and an SD card slot if they only have 4GB for updating purposes).

Windows 10 Professional “desktop” PCs and tablets must carry screen sizes of at least seven inches, Microsoft said, while consumer tablets and PCs are required to start at eight inches.

windows microsoft smartphone operating system 64-bit pirated 32-bit windows 10 requirements genuine windows

Naturally, specifications for desktop PCs are a bit more flexible. As we learned earlier this week, 32-bit versions of Windows 10 will require at least 16GB of free storage space while 64-bit installations need 20GB. They also need a minimum of 1GB / 2GB of RAM for 32-bit and 64-bit installs, respectively, and have to support DirectX 9 or higher.

Permalink to story.

I see the a firmware requirement for "UEFI 2.3.1" and "Secure Boot Enabled". I'm guessing this will limit backward compatibility to older machines.
  1. I don't know anything about UEFI (other than brief mentions hear and there) or how to check which version my machine has.
  2. Tell me, why "Secure Boot Enabled" needs to be a requirement.

It's nice to see that the requirements haven't changed a whole lot, The resolution is still at least a requirement of 800x600, that whole 8 inch seems pointless. Unless if you developing some sort of cool Windows Glass(es) eye wear. Even that would use a hi res screen lol.

Why is DX9 going to be installed? What happened to DX12?

I see the a firmware requirement for "UEFI 2.3.1" and "Secure Boot Enabled". I'm guessing this will limit backward compatibility to older machines.
  1. I don't know anything about UEFI (other than brief mentions hear and there) or how to check which version my machine has.
  2. Tell me, why "Secure Boot Enabled" needs to be a requirement.
From what I've read, the UEFI is quite better, it's optimized, how ever the Secure Boot was something that was backed by Windows to only Support Windows 8 and further, or Red Hat Linux, only those two OS. I've heard there's bit of an outcry. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just have really mixed feelings about UEFI.

A 3" screen mobile device? That was before the smartphone days. Who knows? Maybe they'll make a comeback as OS's evolve. Giant screen mobile devices aren't going to stick around forever you know, they're bulky & unwieldy, not the best characteristics for something that's supposed to be very portable.

Msinfo32.exe tells what you need to know. My Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z (i7-2600K) apparently has UEFI 2.6 and secure boot is "unsupported". There is a spot for a TPM module, but it is empty. Hope MS clarifies things

It's nice to see that the requirements haven't changed a whole lot, The resolution is still at least a requirement of 800x600, that whole 8 inch seems pointless. Unless if you developing some sort of cool Windows Glass(es) eye wear. Even that would use a hi res screen lol.

Why is DX9 going to be installed? What happened to DX12?

This is a HW requirement for the OS, not the API. Which means that you can install Windows 10 on a DX9 GPU even when you can't use DX12. If you want DX12 you need a DX12 capable GPU, which is means most of DX11 GPU (GCN, Haswell+ and all nVidia DX11 GPUs).

Can we please get rid of 32-bit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if UEFI is a requirement, 32-bit architectures probably don't support it, no? I just hate carrying around so many ISOs for reinstalls...

Can we please get rid of 32-bit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if UEFI is a requirement, 32-bit architectures probably don't support it, no? I just hate carrying around so many ISOs for reinstalls...
Never mind, I was under the impression that UEFI was only introduced in the last 5 years or so o.o

Back