Microsoft Rewards is now less rewarding, sparking user backlash

Huesane

Cutting corners: For those who love riding the wave of Microsoft freebies, the Rewards program has been a sweet deal. It's been Microsoft's way of giving out brownie points for what you may already do: searching with Bing, browsing with Edge, or diving into Xbox games. But Microsoft's latest move might have you rethinking your digital habits.

Microsoft's overhaul of its Rewards program has stirred a wave of discontent among its loyal user base, particularly affecting Edge and Xbox users.

Launched to encourage and thank users for their loyalty, the Microsoft Rewards program has been fairly successful. The points accumulate while searching with Bing, using the Edge browser, or playing on Xbox, which can later be redeemed for gift cards from various retailers, Microsoft devices, or Xbox games and subscriptions like Game Pass. There's also an option to donate points to various charities, making every point count towards a good cause.

But most recently Microsoft decided to trim down the Rewards program, and it isn't a light sprucing by any means. The daily 15-point bonus for using Edge is gone for good, and the points you'd rack up for daily activities have been slashed from a decent 5 to 10 points to just one point or two. And for the Xbox loyalists out there, it seems the company is tightening the screws there, too, as there are rumors of the end for the Rewards app on Xbox.

Microsoft Rewards

Microsoft used to hand out up to 20 points a day for US users just for searching on Bing via Edge, but that's history now. The company's statement to Windows Latest was vague to say the least, focusing on "consistency and fairness" and how they're tuning the program. They're still big on the idea of rewarding members for using Bing, Edge, Xbox, and the Microsoft Store, but the details could be clearer.

What made Microsoft Rewards a hit was its simplicity. Choosing Bing over Google and Edge over Chrome meant that Microsoft's got your back with points. It was a no-brainer for users who were already in the Microsoft ecosystem, with points flowing in from Xbox, PC Game Pass, and mobile apps. And for those who loved a challenge, there were extra points for completing tasks and quests.

But now, the Daily Search Breakdown isn't the only part of the program feeling the squeeze. Earlier this month, Microsoft dialed back on the Game Pass daily quests, leaving users with fewer ways to score points. The peek given by a user at their Microsoft Rewards dashboard shows just two goals left in the Daily Search Breakdown, though you can still earn points through daily offers, shopping, and gaming on Xbox and Game Pass.

Over social media, the mood is a mix of disappointment and frustration. One Reddit user lamented that the goodwill built by Microsoft Rewards is fading, with the company "taking away the very things that made us choose Microsoft over others." This shift has left many Microsoft fans wondering what's next for the Rewards program, while others are turning away entirely. The company's statement, while optimistic about the program's future, lacks clarity on the specifics.

Permalink to story.

Wave of discontent...That's what happens when people get hooked on "social programs" that are not always necessary for them but they get used to the something for nothing mind frame real quick then take it as an you owe me. No sympathy for these people (microsoft) from me at all

I used to do the Bing rewards program some years ago. I'd log in daily, use the search engine quick to accumulate points, do the random extra tasks (if any) to gain a few more points and by the end of the day (I should say year) I had accumulated enough points to get about $100 worth of free Amazon gift cards (that's what I used my points for, $5 gift cards for Amazon).

When the program changed over from Bing rewards name to Microsoft rewards, they reduced point gaining a bit and altered the way Bing functions with doing searching so it was more of a pain to earn the points. Instead of spending about 5-7 minutes clicking through things, looking around, it turned into about a 10-15 minute ordeal for fewer points. Then edge came along and other minor changes here and there and I found it too much of a hassle to use. For a few years though it was nice of MS to give me about $300 towards Amazon. All in all, it was a nice way to get a couple of Christmas gifts for free for the kids each year.

I haven't thought about this rewards program for a while, but I'm not surprised they're cutting back because good things don't last forever.

I found about it by accident. I was surprised I got something in there.
But then I checked how much I earned, roughly 5 bucks worth, and forgot
about it again.
It would be wise to close it rather than decreasing the reward x20 times.
It feels like a mockery.

I noticed a drop in points daily starting back in April 2023. I waited until I had 200,000 points, cashed them in for Amazon gift cards in November and haven't gone back to the daily point grind since.

I used to like getting those gift cards.

Wave of discontent...That's what happens when people get hooked on "social programs" that are not always necessary for them but they get used to the something for nothing mind frame real quick then take it as an you owe me. No sympathy for these people (microsoft) from me at all
Leave your fox news right wing talking points in another comment section.

Like others here, I pretty much stopped earning in 2023 and don't expect anything in the future. Here's my history of earning:

2023: $10
2022: $55
2021: $10
2020: $40
2019: $25
2018: $30
2017: $25
2016: $45
2015: 0
2014: $23

Leave your fox news right wing talking points in another comment section.
I don't watch, listen or seek any news. It makes people angry because it isn't news, it's slant. All you have to do to understand my posit is view recent European history and what happens when something a little more is asked of people. Or just read this article. You are owed nothing

Social program - That's what you call a company making large profits giving some of that profit back to its customers? You have an interesting definition of "Social Programs".

The most disappointment that I have felt from Microsoft is through this rewards program. I was an avid user of Chrome and Google for years; it's been my go-to. My friend got me introduced to Bing rewards with the Xbox and since then been faithful every day in doing the rewards. Then one day... gone were the days of getting easy points. The system now doesn't even make sense?? They say 20 points per day doing searches but yet on my app it still shows I can earn up to 280 points using pc, mobile, and edge? Did they forget to take that part out. It's so disappointing. It made me question why they did this in the first place until I found this....

On YouTube and all over the internet there are people that are "hacking" the system to get thousands and hundreds of thousands of points thru Bing. Thus, giving them an abundance of gift cards. It's simple in my mind at this point. People were abusing the system, Microsoft put an end to it by nerfing the junk out of their rewards program.

Why not just ban those few accounts that were doing it instead of letting everyone else suffer... it's not like they make billions of dollars every year or anything.

Just maybe Microsoft is going broke. I mean one point is a little less than a penny. Sure I enjoyed earning enough to take care of my gamepass subscription every month {also getting too expensive } but with the way they've got it set with the cool down and one or two points from five or ten just pissed me off. Like others I'm looking for something new now. This change reminds me of Anheuser Busch trying to change good.

Back