Microsoft sends Mozilla a smaller cake for Firefox 5 release

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has once again sent a congratulatory cake to Mozilla, this time for the release of Firefox 5. This is the fourth cake the software giant has sent; it's become a tradition that is celebrated upon major version releases of the open-source browser.

While it's not really a huge deal, it's worth noting that the cake Microsoft sent this time is noticeably smaller. It appears that the company is trying to cut costs (Mozilla has announced it is releasing at least four major versions this year), is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both.

In any case, here is the relevant tweet from Damon Sicore, VP of Engineering at Mozilla, and an accompanying picture:

Just received the congrats cake. From all at Mozilla, thank you, Microsoft. We love you, too. :) https://img.ly/5k48

The tradition began in October 2006, when the Internet Explorer 7 development team sent a cake to Mozilla for successful shipping Firefox 2. Given the state of the browser wars at the time, many joked about the cake being poisoned, while others teasingly suggested that Mozilla send a cake back along with the recipe, in reference to the fact that the organization produces open-source software. The IE8 development team sent another cake on June 17, 2008, when Firefox 3 was released. The last cake was sent in March 2011, after the release of Firefox 4.

Mozilla still plans on shipping Firefox 6.0 and Firefox 7.0 before the end of year. Firefox 6 is slated for an August 2011 release. The non-profit organization has promised to push out a new stable build every six weeks, so it's possible we may even see Firefox 8.0 and Firefox 9.0 before the year is out.

Permalink to story.

Bah I downloaded it yesterday and there is no difference.

Well actually there is

Half my add on and plugins didn't work anymore. Thats the only difference I noticed.

Whats the point in major releases so often, they just love MS cakes so much they want to get more out of em

Firefox 5.0 should have been released next year.
FF 6.0 in 2013
so on and so forth.

After trying FireFox 5, the IE team should have sent them a cupcake. I mean FF 5 is just a few bug fixes and not much more. It really should be FF 4.2 but since Mozilla has changed the major version to really now be a minor version, the IE team should just send them a bonbon with each release.

Firefox used to be all about careful iterations.
I suspect a new manager or someone with lofty "visions" is running some department there, and is all about impressing someone with her new short/long term goals, and working the developers to the bone, all in the name of a huge promotion and/or bonus. Do I sound bitter? Bah @ management!!!!!

A smaller cake means market is shrinking for IE, and earth is shaking under their feet, surely not a concern that more frequent updates will make the fox fat, 'cos that'd be a faul play.

I really don't understand the desire to push out major versions of Firefox at such a frequent pace. I work at a software company, where we release minor versions every 4-6 weeks. The idea behind a major version release is that either something fundamental has been changed, or there is a significant enhancement. If Firefox keeps up this pace, it will get ridiculous when we get up to Firefox 42, etc.

Maybe they're just trying "catch up" to IE 10 and Chrome 12.

I look forward to FF2688.
C'mon... why the rush to up the major version number? No wonder they can't compete with IE at the corporate level. It took our companies months and months of testing (thousands of apps)before we could move to a newer version of IE. It's about stability... and we all do only have 24 hours a day, don't we?

wagan8r said:
Maybe they're just trying "catch up" to IE 10 and Chrome 12.

That's a valid argument, if you were speaking to someone non-technical who heard that IE and Chrome were 10 and 12 and firefox was ONLY 5? They might think it was "behind" or not as advanced.

I work in a business that forces me to think from both perspectives and often times from the lesser perspective technology doesn't always make sense.

And since lots of older folks use "foxfire" it makes sense to want them to feel more secure etc.

" It appears that the company is trying to cut costs, is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both."

I doubt it has anything to do with costs. I'm inclined to believe the latter

I've confirmed through benchmarks that FF5 is definitely and technically faster than FF4. The changes are mostly internal. How many changes have you noticed with Chrome for example? Call me crazy but Chrome 9 and Chrome 13 look about the same to me. Funny thing is, people will criticize Mozilla for quicker stable releases but not Google. Personally I don't mind the releases but I also think that good things can take time so waiting around wouldn't be such a bad thing.

+1 Jibberish
Generally my feeling is Google just do all the bug fixes, then throw in few newish features, improve speed by 0.0000001 seconds for page loads and give the release a new version number :confused:

It appears that the company is trying to cut costs (Mozilla has announced it is releasing at least four major versions this year), is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both.

Yeah, because a $22 cake from Walmart puts a really big dent in their teeny tiny bank account
/sarcasm

C'mon now. Size doesn't matter. Oh...wait.

I think we now know the real reason Mozilla will be pushing out new versions of Firefox so often...for the cake.

Booo Mozilla..Go back to the way you did it before. FF5 has nothing other than ad-on compatibility problems..... Why does every update you bring out break ad-ons? You should work on this more verses pushing out a fake major update...this is nothing more than a bug fix update. I think I may finally have to try Chrome....Hope I don't like it.

kg363 said:
" It appears that the company is trying to cut costs, is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both."

Soon it will be a stale Famous Amos cookie from a vending machine with a post it note attached to the wrapper.

kg363 said:

matrix86 said:
It appears that the company is trying to cut costs (Mozilla has announced it is releasing at least four major versions this year), is poking fun at the fact that a major release of Firefox is no longer really a big thing, or both.

Yeah, because a $22 cake from Walmart puts a really big dent in their teeny tiny bank account
/sarcasm

The first part was a joke guys.

My browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. You should use my browser because my browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. My toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks. You should use my toothpaste because my toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks.

You people still don't get it, do you? This isn't about catching up to Internet Explorer, or Opera or Chrome or anything else in terms of version numbers. This is marketing. Pure and simple. The Mozilla team are pushing hard and fast, so they can be the ones with the bragging rights to having Firefox 8 for Windows 8. Nothing more. Nothing less.

on June 22, 2011
8:16 AM I look forward to FF2688.
C'mon... why the rush to up the major version number? No wonder they can't compete with IE at the corporate level. It took our companies months and months of testing (thousands of apps)before we could move to a newer version of IE. It's about stability... and we all do only have 24 hours a day, don't we?

Heaven forbid some of these companies update their age old websites. These same companies maybe the same demographic that still uses IE6.

My browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. You should use my browser because my browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. My toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks. You should use my toothpaste because my toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks.

Isn't this the fourth time you posted this drivel?

"You know, because it's YOUR dog, get it?"
"Yeah, we've got it. "

Back