Microsoft 'steals' Redditor's ad concept without giving credit

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Microsoft posted a tweet yesterday advertising PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds on the Xbox One X. The ad shows a console with a grassy battlefield on top and a player sneaking through tall grass. The ad copy at the top says, “Land. Loot. Survive.”

Now the company is being accused of stealing someone else’s concept art. A Reddit user who goes by Macsterr posted an image (above) almost two months ago that is strikingly similar to Microsoft’s Twitter post. It has the same waist-high dry grass and the soldier moving through it. The main differences are that he used an Xbox One in his art and the controller is not depicted. Microsoft also added a half-buried crate in the tall grass.

Despite the minor differences, the concepts are identical. During a discussion about whether Microsoft could have just come up with the same idea, Macsterr noted, “My original post has 63k views.... so yeah its impossible.”

Many Reddit users agree that Microsoft ripped off his idea for their ad although others say that legally, he has no claim to the concept. The tweet has subsequently been deleted.

“As a full-time graphic designer, it's shitty, but surely you would have noticed the entire industry revolves around recycling ideas,” said Redditor Arendas. “This is more blatant than I would like, but ultimately the concept can't be copyrighted.”

“Legally or not, Microsoft should have at least given a shoutout or a courtesy notice to OP for using their idea.”

Another user proposed a question that added a bit of clarity that many others were overlooking.

“[The] OP did a mockup using assets from two different IP holders, PlayerUnknown and Microsoft,” vonmonologue argues. “Microsoft took the idea of the mockup, used different assets to recreate it, and used that in their ad. Legally speaking, which part of the original work would be OP's protected work? Just the layout?”

Indeed, what is Macsterr’s legal claim? Furthermore, could Microsoft or the game's developer pursue legal action against him for using their IP without permission when creating the concept?

He later posted, "I‘m not saying I own any copyright, [but] I assume they saw it and I got no credits."

Even those that argued that he has no legal legs to stand on agree that Microsoft was guilty of pulling a “dick move,” and should at least apologize or give him a “shout out” for the idea. However, after deleting the original tweet, Xbox replaced it with a more standard PUBG image.

My bet is that Microsoft will forego an apology and just sweep the faux pas under the rug.

Permalink to story.

"My bet is that Microsoft will forego an apology and just sweep the faux pas under the rug", my bet is the writer simply hates Microsoft for some reason.

Hmmmmmmmm ..... so he dosen't know how it happened; you mean running the ad or getting caught red handed????

"Land. Loot. Survive." Terrible slogan for a terrible game. (Yes, I think I'm in the minority here!) I have no ****ing clue why this game is so popular. I've played it, yes.
To each his own! The game rocks! I suck at it and still love it!

I hate all these imaginary copyright feelings from but hurt people that can't accept that they can't monopolize everything.

I sure hope they don't apologize since there is nothing to apologize for. Tell him to bugger off, as if he's the only one that is allowed by some magical rule to draw the xbox that way.

Welcome to the internet.

They could have just paid the guy a few bucks and there would have been no issue.

Boy if it was only that simple, of course then Microsoft would have to bring enough bubble gum for the rest of the class that complains too. Obviously we all do not know all the details.

My theory is that whoever did make the official one for Microsoft did mimic the original. Then people started ranting to Microsoft saying they stole it. Finally someone in management checked out both images and decided to replace their own image to stop the fire.

Of course Macsterr has no legal claim on the matter. In reality, he could have been ordered a CnD but that would cause negative PR for both PUBG and Microsoft.

I get Macsterr position on wanting to get credit for the idea. It is always nice to feel appreciated. However, there is still the possibility that Macsterr was not the only one who had the same idea.

"Land. Loot. Survive." Terrible slogan for a terrible game. (Yes, I think I'm in the minority here!) I have no ****ing clue why this game is so popular. I've played it, yes.
No your right it sucks. I do know what you mean I have no idea why it is popular. Some of previous years break out games like Ark and Rocket league. I get they are cleaver, and interesting. PUBG just isn't, the only thing it has going for it is cheap thrills of killing real people and giving the reward of feeling better then other people. When you add in the hacking, auto aimers an being poorly coded. Who would want to put themselves through that?

No your right it sucks. I do know what you mean I have no idea why it is popular. Some of previous years break out games like Ark and Rocket league. I get they are cleaver, and interesting. PUBG just isn't, the only thing it has going for it is cheap thrills of killing real people and giving the reward of feeling better then other people. When you add in the hacking, auto aimers an being poorly coded. Who would want to put themselves through that?

The League of Legends crowd.

I'm not a fan of it either. I think a lot of the people who enjoy it are people who were also into games like DayZ, Ark, etc. - PUBG just offers a smoother (overall), more complete overall experience.

Personally, I just don't care for PvP games in general. Certain MOBAs I enjoy because they stretch the ol' problem solving muscles a bit more, but survival/TPS/FPS games have never really been my cup of tea.

Back