Microsoft to drop Nokia and Windows Phone brands this holiday season

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft is reportedly planning to change the way they market their smartphone OS for this holiday season, dropping both the Nokia and Windows Phone brands from product references and advertisements.

The news originates from Geek on Gadgets, who received a confidential Microsoft document revealing the changes. It marks a shift in branding since Microsoft acquired Nokia's devices and services division in September last year, with the company looking to refreshen up their image in the lead up to the launch of Windows 'Threshold' next year.

Windows 'Threshold' (or Windows 9 as it'll likely be called) is set to unify all versions of Windows, including Windows Phone and Windows RT, into effectively one operating system. With this in mind, it makes sense for Microsoft to transition away from Windows Phone branding: it's reported that this holiday season, marketing material will simply refer to it as "Windows".

Some of Microsoft's recent promotions appear to have already started the shift away from Windows Phone branding. Some of the latest videos for Cortana and Nokia's upcoming smartphones don't mention "Windows Phone" at all, and even HTC's latest handset is simply the HTC One M8 for Windows.

As for the Nokia brand, it was always expected that Microsoft would eventually drop it following the acquisition. The confidential documents reveal that the Lumia brand will stay, but future devices will be branded as Microsoft Lumia rather than Nokia Lumia. The upcoming Lumia 830 and Lumia 730/735 will be the last devices to launch with Nokia branding printed on the phone.

Permalink to story.

If they just call it 'Windows', and it's a 'phone', how can it not be referred to by consumers as a 'Windows Phone'?

Could it be called a 'Windows Ladder' or a 'Windows Hammer' etc? I think not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an absolute convert to the Windows/Nokia Phones. I would NEVER buy an iPhone and personally don't like the Android interface.

The same thing happens with re-branded graphics cards. The same card with a new name, all for the sole purpose of a marketing strategy. When I said phone, I wasn't referring to a specific phone.
Don't get me wrong, I'm an absolute convert to the Windows/Nokia Phones. I would NEVER buy an iPhone and personally don't like the Android interface.
Nor do I like the Windows interface, which makes me wish for a change. A change of which I doubt comes to pass.

If they just call it 'Windows', and it's a 'phone', how can it not be referred to by consumers as a 'Windows Phone'?

Windows phone not only implies it's a phone running windows, but a phone running "windows phone" operative system.

Eventually people will reffer to their phones as that, my phone. Not my android, not my iPhone nor windows phone, but phone, which runs one of those systems.

I really never saw Nokias name dying, there was a time that Nokia meant impecable quality, it's kind of sad.

I am not going back to Verizon ever again just way to expensive on contract they have you locked and you can't run away!, Plus have all sorts of hidden fees. They're in league with Comcast. Microsoft looking to cut waste I see. I like my Nokia Windows 8.1 phone. HTC cell phones have a lot issues.

I really never saw Nokias name dying, there was a time that Nokia meant impecable quality, it's kind of sad.
TRULY!! Have one on my belt right now and until it becomes unserviceable - - I'll keep it. It's the 6350 flip phone and is so customizable and has such great human factors, it will be difficult to adapt to the touch based techniques (and yes we have an iPad-mini, but that's not for conversations :)

TRULY!! Have one on my belt right now and until it becomes unserviceable - - I'll keep it. It's the 6350 flip phone and is so customizable and has such great human factors, it will be difficult to adapt to the touch based techniques (and yes we have an iPad-mini, but that's not for conversations :)

Your behind the times there! But at least it's a Nokia! ;)

Yes, I know, I don't care, and it's very pragmatic. "if it's not broken, don't fix it" (y)

Windows phone not only implies it's a phone running windows, but a phone running "windows phone" operative system.

Eventually people will reffer to their phones as that, my phone. Not my android, not my iPhone nor windows phone, but phone, which runs one of those systems.

Microsoft could not keep using the Nokia name. Nokia still exists as its own company and Microsoft was allowed to use the Nokia name for only so long after the mobile devices aquisition became final. This is sooner than they were allowed, but why wait it out.

@ snowden Well I know in the beginning the naming seemed whack with the way it was being used. You'd get "windows phone phone" "windows phone 7" "windows mobile(still)" and much more in articles and comments. It was just a stupid name anyways. Just call it windows and then once people reference it, they'd say my windows phone all by their lonesome.

They should just drop the whole idea of creating a phone altogether and just sell their software on Android and IOS. Maybe they should start pretending to be a software company.

Windows 'Thing that makes calls'?

Anyhow, I love the live tiles. Maybe they could call it 'Windows Tiles' or....'Windows Live'? :)

I agree some people will probably end up saying "I have a phone that runs Windows", but a lot of people will still refer to it as 'Windows Phone'.

Its a bit moot anyway.

Still using a N95 which I just replaced the flex cable which snapped in half. New phones are too big and have terrible battery life.

N95??? that is so legendary awesome! before I used the N8, was using the N73. Use it for like 5 years , changed the battery for 3 times because it was bloated, overcharged. Then again bloated, went to the shop and they said they do not carry anymore N73 battery, then I was like what???! damn! Then I changed to N8 :D

Now loving my Lumia 920, with 8.1 and Cortana!
I love the live folder feature. Its sweet!

Back