Microsoft to rebrand its enterprise communications tool Lync as Skype for Business

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Nearly three years after acquiring popular video calling service Skype, Microsoft has announced that it's rebranding its Lync enterprise communications tool as Skype for Business.

The name change will be effective in the first half of 2015 when new versions of the Skype for Business client, Skype for Business on-premises server, and Skype for Business online service (part of Office 365) will be made available.

Microsoft’s Lync is a popular tool, and is widely used in many enterprises for voice, video, and conferencing. While the rebranding will have no effect on Lync's existing features, Skype for Business will include some of Skype's user interface elements, including icons for calling, adding video, and ending a call, as well as the ability to keep an active call visible in a small window even when a user moves focus to another application.

Aside from instant messaging and audio calling with Skype users, Skype for Business will also support video calling as well as the ability to access the Skype user directory, making it possible to call any Skype user on any device.

Current Lync Server customers will be able to take advantage of these capabilities simply by updating from Lync Server 2013 to the new Skype for Business Server in their datacenters -- no new hardware is required, while for Office 365 customers, the software giant says it will do the required updates.

"We believe that Skype for Business will again transform the way people communicate by giving organizations reach to hundreds of millions of Skype users outside the walls of their business", said Gurdeep Pall, Corporate Vice President at Skype.

Permalink to story.

Ugh... Just when I got almost everyone used to saying and using Lyn correctly. Now a simple Icon change will send half of them back to the "How do I share my screen?" era....

So Microsoft Lync is the best communication platform on the market at this time. I think this is yet another MAJOR mistake from Microsoft in trying to make the Skype brand seem bigger.

The change in the UI is as stupid as the decision to re brand and excellent product. I hope before this become reality someone at Microsoft takes their heads out the *$$ and reverts this decision.

A Lync Admin, User and Supporter!!!!

Ugh... Just when I got almost everyone used to saying and using Lyn correctly. Now a simple Icon change will send half of them back to the "How do I share my screen?" era....
Oh man I know exactly what you're talking about. Users always call it Lynx...

Back