Microsoft unveils Surface Pro 7 with faster Intel CPUs, long-awaited USB-C port

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The 12.3-inch PixelSense display remains unchanged, offering up a maximum resolution of 2,736 x 1,824 with a PPI rating of 267. And yes, that means you’re also stuck with the same chunky bezels as before (you'll need to look to the new Surface Pro X for relief from thick bezels).

Microsoft at an early morning press event in New York City on Wednesday announced the next iteration of Surface Pro. The aptly named Surface Pro 7 may look just like its predecessor from the outside but it’s the changes on the inside that really count.

Microsoft is outfitting the Pro 7 with laptop-class, 10th generation Core i3, i5 and i7 CPUs from Intel that are up to twice as fast as what’s found in the Surface Pro 6. You can also configure the Surface Pro 7 with up to 16GB of LPDDR4x RAM and a 1TB solid state drive.

Another big advancement for Surface is the inclusion of USB-C which drew a big pop from the crowd.

What isn’t likely to get potential buyers excited, however, is the battery life. The Surface Pro 7 offers up to 10.5 hours of runtime on a single charge, far less than the 13.5 hours claimed by the Pro 6.

There’s also a new Surface Pen that’s faster than before and now works with Microsoft Excel although as usual, it is still sold as an optional accessory.

Microsoft’s new Surface Pro 7 is available to pre-order from today in black and silver and will launch on October 22 starting at 749.

Permalink to story.

I want one, but I also hate laptops and tablets. And its the price that scares me off, cause I want the all singing all dancing, coffee making, it does it all, just so I know, I can use the browser without it getting all laggy.

I have the 6... i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB storage... So the only upgrade would be the processor and possibly the pen (I have the "slow" one) which I rarely use...

Battery life going down really sucks.... Anyone know if the weight remains the same? I assume it must be similar as the display remains the same...

Storage is a non-issue as I have memory cards for my "extras"...

The battery life may not be too much of an issue, if the reported runtime is a good indicator of the overall use one can expect. I had a Pro 4 for a short while and never got anything like the claimed runtime for the batter, despite it being used for nothing more than office work. I'd gladly take a reduced time, if it really did last up to 10 hours in similar usage.

The battery life may not be too much of an issue, if the reported runtime is a good indicator of the overall use one can expect. I had a Pro 4 for a short while and never got anything like the claimed runtime for the batter, despite it being used for nothing more than office work. I'd gladly take a reduced time, if it really did last up to 10 hours in similar usage.
I highly doubt that they'd publish lower battery life numbers if they weren't relative in "real life"... Regardless of the "real" battery life of the 6, the 7's must be less... otherwise they'd never state as much...

Which sucks, as I really like the battery life on my 6....

Back