Microsoft unveils two new mice for Windows 8 users

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is attempting to cater to Windows 8 users that don’t have a touchscreen with the announcement of two new pointing devices, the Sculpt Comfort Mouse and the Sculpt Mobile Mouse. Redmond is taking a unique approach by placing a Windows key on each mouse. It seems a bit odd at first considering this key is traditionally part of the keyboard but when you factor in the importance it has in Windows 8, it isn’t quite as shocking.

microsoft mice windows multitasking windows 8 mouse

The Bluetooth-enabled Sculpt Comfort positions the Windows button on the left side for easy thumb access. But Microsoft took it one step further by making the button touch sensitive as well. As such, users can swipe up to toggle open apps and swipe down to launch the multitasking menu. There’s even haptic feedback built in that gives you a physical confirmation that a command was registered although this function is completely optional.

Other than the Windows key, the Sculpt Comfort doesn’t bring any other innovation or creature comforts to the table. In fact, The Verge described it as a standard, inexpensive and plasticy mouse. It’ll be priced at $39.95 when it becomes available next month.

microsoft mice windows multitasking windows 8 mouse

The Sculpt Mobile Mouse is much like other mobile mice from Microsoft except there’s a Windows key directly behind the scroll wheel. The pointer uses a USB dongle for connectivity rather than Bluetooth so you’ll lose a USB port when using it. That’s probably not a huge deal as you’re more likely to use this portable pointer while traveling with your notebook instead of with a desktop machine.

It will retail for $29.95 and should be available alongside the Sculpt Comfort next month.

Permalink to story.

Nice approach. I want to see high end mice adopt this, but instead of a big blue strip, there should be a back lit windows button.

So, funny story... When Windows8 first hit, I tried to use it on my desktop. Didn't fair too well, mostly due to multiple monitor support issues. But, one of the first things I did was program one of the thumb buttons on my mouse to pop up the Start screen. That made the program hunting process at least a little more tolerable...

Since Microsoft is married to the whole Start screen & tile approach, at least they are actually thinking about the huge portion of users who do not have or want to use a touchscreen interface... Rather than just assuming we are all inevitably bending to their will.

Unbelievable. Microsoft makes an operating system and a user interface that are so bad and so hated that they are almost single-handedly killing the PC industry right now, and their brilliant fix to the problem? A bag on the side of a mouse. You can't make this stuff up folks.

I swear, I think Google moles have infiltrated Microsoft's upper management. Their suicidal behavior would make a lot more sense if that were true.

Other than the Windows key, the Sculpt Comfort doesn’t bring any other innovation or creature comforts to the table. In fact, The Verge described it as a standard, inexpensive and plasticy mouse. It’ll be priced at $39.95 when it becomes available next month.
I still like the "Intellimouse Explorer". Well, other than the fact their own weight causes them to commit suicide if you drop them.

These do look "cheap and plasticy", as though they're being manufactured deeper and deeper in the bowels of mainland china at lower and lower cost.

You know if you move your mouse a few more pixels to the bottom left corner of the screen, you can click that to access it too. It's not technically on the taskbar, but its not far.
I see you are never gonna shut up about a link that should have an object to be seen. Come to think of it, how many other hidden links are there? Links without objects, so no one knows they are there. But then it really doesn't matter because what the link represents has changed for the worse. As long as the link represents the Start Screen, I will never use it even as a visible object.

You know if you move your mouse a few more pixels to the bottom left corner of the screen, you can click that to access it too. It's not technically on the taskbar, but its not far.

It's about the pixel count of the 'button'. Current Win8 one is what, 4 pixels?

If Microsoft copied the touch capabilities of the apple Magic Mouse it could be interesting, then you could use gestures to navigate the touch enabled start screen etc. probably a patent that means they can't though.

Weird, I was expecting the main button to be removed altogether, following the traits of Windows 8 ...

I see you are never gonna shut up about a link that should have an object to be seen. Come to think of it, how many other hidden links are there? Links without objects, so no one knows they are there. But then it really doesn't matter because what the link represents has changed for the worse. As long as the link represents the Start Screen, I will never use it even as a visible object.

Whatever floats your boat. Sounds like you should go to a Mac though, they'll get rid of that overwhelming complexity for you.

It's about the pixel count of the 'button'. Current Win8 one is what, 4 pixels?

Just for giggles, let's assume it is. Regardless of the size, if you don't have the hand-eye coordination to whip your mouse to the most bottom left corner of the screen, you have bigger problems than a small start screen button. Even a little kid could figure that out. Maybe you're just a late bloomer though. :D

Whatever floats your boat. Sounds like you should go to a Mac though, they'll get rid of that overwhelming complexity for you.
You are sending me the wrong direction. I'm asking for choices. You are the one who can't seem to handle complexity.

Edit:
You remind me of a car salesman, who only sales cars of one color. When someone wants a different color, you say whats wrong with this color. This is the best looking car in town.

It's strange that they launch mice. They should be trying to foist their brand of desktop touchscreen down our throats.

Other than the Windows key, the Sculpt Comfort doesn?t bring any other innovation or creature comforts to the table. In fact, The Verge described it as a standard, inexpensive and plasticy mouse. It?ll be priced at $39.95 when it becomes available next month.
I still like the "Intellimouse Explorer". Well, other than the fact their own weight causes them to commit suicide if you drop them.

These do look "cheap and plasticy", as though they're being manufactured deeper and deeper in the bowels of mainland china at lower and lower cost.
Other than the Windows key, the Sculpt Comfort doesn?t bring any other innovation or creature comforts to the table. In fact, The Verge described it as a standard, inexpensive and plasticy mouse. It?ll be priced at $39.95 when it becomes available next month.

I thought that was the whole point. Instead of buying just one, buy a couple. You never know when you're gonna drop it.

You are sending me the wrong direction. I'm asking for choices. You are the one who can't seem to handle complexity.

Edit:
You remind me of a car salesman, who only sales cars of one color. When someone wants a different color, you say whats wrong with this color. This is the best looking car in town.

That makes no sense. I'm starting to see why you are having so many difficulties with basic Win8 navigation. I'm not trying to get you to use Windows 8. I specifically said you should look into a Mac since you can't figure out how to use it. That's called a choice.

I thought that was the whole point. Instead of buying just one, buy a couple. You never know when you're gonna drop it.
That was terribly cute...:D It's almost a pity I can't give it two "likes". If it makes you feel better, I'll say I dropped one on the way to the keyboard....:)

That makes no sense. I'm starting to see why you are having so many difficulties with basic Win8 navigation. I'm not trying to get you to use Windows 8. I specifically said you should look into a Mac since you can't figure out how to use it. That's called a choice.
And I would still have a choice if the Start Menu wasn't stripped out of Windows 8. And no, I'm not gonna consider a Mac. You may have money running out the A$$, I don't. And further more, I don't have difficulties with Windows 8 navigations, I am rebelling against the very thought of being forced into it.

And I would still have a choice if the Start Menu wasn't stripped out of Windows 8. And no, I'm not gonna consider a Mac. You may have money running out the A$$, I don't. And further more, I don't have difficulties with Windows 8 navigations, I am rebelling against the very thought of being forced into it.

Nobody is making you buy Windows 8. I'm pretty sure nobody in the world really cares which OS you have.

LOL

Why rebel against it? Downgrade to Windows 7 or earlier.

Don't worry, be happy, friend.

Back