Microsoft unveils Windows Embedded Compact 7 for tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has unveiled a version of Windows 7 designed specifically for tablets and other specialized devices. The platform, dubbed Windows Embedded Compact 7, is expected to be released to manufacturing in the fourth quarter, but can already be downloaded from Microsoft's Web site in its preview form. Details are a bit slim at the moment, but it seems to be a compartmentalized version of Windows 7 compatible with non-Intel architectures.

Features listed in the official product page include an updated version of Internet Explorer with support for Silverlight and Adobe Flash 10.1, MPEG4 and HD video playback, support for Microsoft Exchange 2010, Microsoft Office and Adobe PDF viewers, and Windows 7 Device Stage for transferring files between a mobile device and a PC. A multi-touch interface is also mentioned, complete with custom gestures like panning and pinch zooming.

One of the first tablets to launch with Windows Embedded Compact 7 will reportedly be the recently announced Asus Eee Pad EP121. Microsoft has posted a few videos of the new operating system here, showcasing its "connected experiences", "rich user experiences", and platform reliability.

Permalink to story.

LOL! in the story about google getting rid of Windows based computers yet the first comment on here is hoping that microsoft has created an ipad beating OS. the "Guest" from the other thread may have something to say about this... :p

Ok, so lemme get this straight... The Microsoft camp waves off the iPad as irrelevant because it does not use a full OS, thus not giving the operator all the power they might need... So, in their brilliance, they come up with a limited version of their Win7 OS (which is basically just a Win7-ized version of Windows CE, for all I can tell), and they can suddenly claim this is everything the user needs for a rich user experience.

So, to recap, iPhone OS with apps to do just about everything is a fail, but limited Win7 OS with apps to do just about everything is a win?

Although, they DO have Flash... But it's not really full-on Office, it's most likely a limited Office app (like in Win Mobile), so that puts a little damper on thing... But hey, your Outlook should sync great.

Just to be clear (before MS fanboys begin harping in), since my previous post was rather negative...

I abhor the hypocrisy that MS is showing by putting down Android and iPhone OS, yet coming out with their own limited OS along the same vein... But I have to applaud MS for actually getting a clue, and bringing a targeted OS to the fight, so they can truly compete on a level playing field. With the right marketing, and just the "Windows" legacy behind the product, they have a good chance - provided the OS isn't a complete pig on these light tablets.

Well, its about three or four months before the Christmas lineup becomes more or less clear. I may be in the market for a tablet, but I'm going to wait until everyone makes one, and people try out all the OSs, and the companies put out the cool peripherals and apps, and see which one works for me.

This is really going to be a luxury item, I don't have a great need for it, although I can see it taking place of having one of my computers being on to serve as an internet/multimedia device. I suppose the savings in electricity will be something to look for down the line.

But I really would like to see a version of Windows which allows my tablet to access the rest of my network as any other computer, open all the files I could, and hopefully use the same apps to do so.

I'm not going to write a book on this thing, or pretty much do anything that my real computers can do in a better or more ergonomic fashion, but I see this as being a bridge between the devices in my home.

I'd like to see seamless media bookmarking, so that I can watch a movie on the tablet, pause it, and start it up on my PC and watch on monitor, or start up on HTPC and watch on TV.

Its limited more so for the hardware than to a specific exclusive craap store that ends up making you pay for even full functioning basic programs you can get for free with both Windows and Linux.

Keep paying away blindly, and defend the stupid *** structure of paying for features regardless of how easy they are to make.

I will assume that, being Windows-based, this unit will multi-task.
That alone makes it an @pple-beater.

The isanitaryPad is supposedly going to get that "soon."
Right, just like the iPhone. Sure.

A level playing field with other limited OS's like that on the iPad indeed. However, not full Office? Microsofts upcoming Windows Live wave 4 with Office Web Apps maybe enough for most on a mobile device that will not run out of power easily, because it is not overloaded with the legacy of a full traditional OS.

We will see how Microsoft pieces together its ecosystem.

JoscTr

This would be a nice upgrade for existing CE devices like GPS, vertical/specialized inventory devices, wireless POS, etc. My old Mio C310X GPS uses an old version of Windows CE 5, and has been rock solid/reliable for several years now.

I would love the idea of a wince device that can integrate the best of android and ipad and toss in GSM phone and 3g/4g data access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back