Microsoft will soon offer pre-paid data plans for Windows 10 devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is preparing to launch its own wireless data service, presumably to make it easier to get Windows 10 devices online.

A listing in Microsoft's Store for a Cellular Data app says it allows users to connect to a trusted nationwide mobile data network using only your Microsoft account. The service won't tie uses to a long-term contract with a wireless provider, instead offering plans directly from Microsoft.

The description adds that the app is designed to work only with specific Windows 10 devices and requires a Microsoft SIM card (something that currently doesn't exist).

As Engadget points out, an international mobile virtual network operator by the name of Transatel said earlier this week that Microsoft selected its SIM 901 solution to support its upcoming paid cellular data service for Windows 10. Transatel said consumers will be able to purchase pre-paid 3G/4G LTE data service and use it with a Microsoft SIM card while on the go.

At present, Transatel offers service in 38 countries with plans to expand to 50 countries including the US, UK, Mexico, India and several European counties on January 15. If I had to guess, I'd say Microsoft is holding off on its launch until at least that date.

Permalink to story.

Gatta offer those cheap phones with cheap, no credit check phones so you can monitor more people.

What are they going to call this thing? Hmmm, how about "Zune Phone".

New M$ hardware sometimes seems to have a spiraling failure paradigm. Not that many people might be willing to commit to the system, since their prior projects have failed, and have been left without support. Few people willing to commit means the failure of this device could occur sooner than M$ anticipates.

If Apple would bundle them iSomethings with iCell I assure you it would be a huge success

Back