Microsoft WordPad might soon display ads for Office web apps

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: A recent discovery in an Insider Preview of Windows 10 has revealed that Microsoft is experimenting with ads in its WordPad app in a bid to encourage users to try out the web versions of its Office productivity apps.

The humble WordPad is one of the oldest applications to ship with Windows and remains a simple yet effective word processor for basic needs. Although its feature set is unlikely to grow in the future, Microsoft seems to be testing an update for the app that displays ads for the company's Office web apps.

According to Rafael Rivera, a Windows researcher, the company is experimenting with six variants of the ad, which appear below the toolbar, asking users to try out one of the free online versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

It remains to be seen if (and when) Microsoft pushes this change as part of a Windows 10 update. As of now, the public reaction is divided, with some people seeing little harm done in Microsoft suggesting a free and better alternative to WordPad.

Others, however, consider it an invasive move from the company that's trying to convince users to switch products by pushing ads into free software. There's also a third category that's still trying to remember the last time they used WordPad.

Nevertheless, Rivera says that the change is "probably designed to increase some KPI, like monthly user engagement. Or new signups," giving Microsoft a better idea of its Windows 10 userbase that still relies on WordPad for their productivity needs.

Permalink to story.

Every one of these articles is nothing more than clickbait. When I first saw an article for this over at Betanews I was half expecting to see huge half-screen large ads for things like cars and such, that wasn't what I saw. I instead saw some tiny little unobtrusive yellow bar. If that's what is getting everyone's panties in a twist then all of you really need to get some help.

Every one of these articles is nothing more than clickbait. When I first saw an article for this over at Betanews I was half expecting to see huge half-screen large ads for things like cars and such, that wasn't what I saw. I instead saw some tiny little unobtrusive yellow bar. If that's what is getting everyone's panties in a twist then all of you really need to get some help.
Slippery slope. Once ads prove to be successful, there will be more of them, and they will become more aggressive.

If you pay for software, it shouldnt have ads in it. Wordpad is included in an OS that can go for several hundred dollars. It shouldnt have ads in it. Just because "they are not that bad" doesnt make it OK. If a child steals a sucker, you dont let it slide because "oh it isnt that bad", you still punish them so they dont elevate to more serious offenses. Same goes for stuff like this.

I have Office 2010 and prefer to use Wordpad. Wordpad is lighter and does what I need as a simple text editor.

The day Wordpad starts nagging me to use something else. That will be the day I look for something that doesn't belong to Microsoft. I've already done this with several other Microsoft applications. Soon the only Microsoft software left to push me away from will be the operating system. And I'm already feeling a heavy push in that regard. If only I felt more welcomed by the Linux community. Perhaps that will never be the case with so many Distros, keeping the community spread out.

Over the last 6 months I have been dual booting Pop-os and Windows. As time has gone on I have moved more and more to Linux. Adding adverts of any kind into a product I paid for is utterly unacceptable to me. I don't care how small or unobtrusive it is.

Over time I got all my games working on Linux and all the software I need. I haven't booted into windows in about a month now. Only thing I'm missing is Visual Studio. But I can live without.

Yes, It takes some extra work to set up but to avoid adverts I am 100% prepared to put in the effort.

Won't be long before I wipe the Windows partition. It's hanging by a thread.

Slippery slope. Once ads prove to be successful, there will be more of them, and they will become more aggressive.

If you pay for software, it shouldnt have ads in it. Wordpad is included in an OS that can go for several hundred dollars. It shouldnt have ads in it. Just because "they are not that bad" doesnt make it OK. If a child steals a sucker, you dont let it slide because "oh it isnt that bad", you still punish them so they dont elevate to more serious offenses. Same goes for stuff like this.
But I don't see that as an ad, I see it more like a tip of sorts. Like "Hey user! We know you're using X product but if you want more features like spell checking and grammar checking, see our more full-featured product Y."

Again, not a problem. It is simply good business to put such a tip into a program. It's no different than some antivirus software giving away their product for free and then telling you that if you pay up you get more features. This is business people, they're not some kind of charity.

If it is a one time thing, then sure. But if it nags each time you load, then no. I will not deal with it.
But it's unobtrusive! It's not like it's jumping up and down like a jack-in-the-box. It's not making a noise. It's not blinking or flashing. It's just... there, something that can be largely ignored.

All of you are acting like its the end of the damn world or something. I've got more important things to be worried about than some little yellow bar that's barely there unless I was looking for it.

All of you are acting like its the end of the damn world or something.
I for one am upset that I would be treated this way. I also know there is other software available. Therefor there is no need in ignoring crap taking up my screen space. I use an ad blocker for a reason. I don't care if it is the size of a small icon. If I don't want it on my screen, then I don't want it on my screen. If I was actually looking for another product it would be different. I'm not looking, but I will be if this ad shows on my screen.

I just downloaded "Edit Pad Lite 8" as a portable. Hopefully it will work out. So I'll never have to worry about installing an editor. I may end up using "Notepad++" if it doesn't work out. I just need a simple editor. I don't need one that has color codes for programming. So far I have not found a simple editor. One with mouse functions such as drag and drop. That is literally all I need.

I have Office 2010 and prefer to use Wordpad. Wordpad is lighter and does what I need as a simple text editor.

The day Wordpad starts nagging me to use something else. That will be the day I look for something that doesn't belong to Microsoft. I've already done this with several other Microsoft applications. Soon the only Microsoft software left to push me away from will be the operating system. And I'm already feeling a heavy push in that regard. If only I felt more welcomed by the Linux community. Perhaps that will never be the case with so many Distros, keeping the community spread out.
With the Linux community, I have to remember that I am often dealing with a bunch of nerds. :laughing:

However, I'll recommend openSuSE. I have been using that for years, and the community there, in general, seems to be very receptive, helpful, and friendly.

Back