Microsoft's first laptop ever: meet the Surface Book

cldmstrsn

TS Addict
Man that 1500 price tag is a little steep for me but goddamn that is a great looking laptop with the power to back it up.

Reactions: The Chad

Docus

TS Enthusiast
Wow. This is the first laptop that I would want to buy despite its price tag, rather than choosing a budget machine for working on the go. I'm more of a desktop guy, but this machine seems worthy.

R

RustyTech

No USB-C?? Would be nice if it had that.
Is that a thunderbolt connection? Not sure how one looks like.

Reactions: H3llion

psycros

TS Evangelist
The basic SB model is probably the first legitimate Macbook Air competitor Microsoft has produced..but their still not Apple so they can't expect much success at that price. And its big brother? For less money you could have a more powerful gaming laptop *and* either a large, top-end Android tablet or the latest iPad Air. Is the two-in-one factor really that compelling? I just don't see it.

Julio Franco

TechSpot Editor
Staff member
Finished writing just now, sorry for the mistake or two in the process... Microsoft didn't publish final specs until about an hour after the presentation was done. Reload and read again :)

Reactions: NightAngel79

ikesmasher

TS Evangelist
Is the two-in-one factor really that compelling? I just don't see it.
It is to me. This is literally everything I have ever wanted from a device. Ability to game and do serious work (although at a lesser level than a desktop workstation, obviously) on a more portable system. This replaces my laptop, tablet, and my desktop. I'll wait until I at least see the general consensus of reviews though I'll probably wait until the second generation anyway, but this is super exciting to me.

madboyv1

TechSpot Paladin
So basically, it's an XL surface pro, with the port replicator style cover so many of my friends wanted, with a battery slice AND a discreet GPU that takes over when "docked"? Hot damn, can't wait to see a review. =o

OortCloud

TS Evangelist
Looks awesome, I'm getting one. With specs like that it should keep me happy for years. Oh and the big brother nonsense is really tired.

IAMTHESTIG

TS Evangelist
Looks pretty good.... wonder if it will have a docking station for the enterprise market. I'm quite happy with my SP3. Windows 10 could still do with improvement though.

Peter Farkas

TS Evangelist
The pen is actually included!!
(Unlike *cough* Apple)
lol
on the other hand don't compare this with that apple crap... they are not in the same league. Ipad pro runs mobile OS, meaning it is a joke when it comes to productivity or enterprise usage...
And don't forget that Apple calls it "Pencil"... not just pen... you know, they invented the "Pencil"... LMAO

Peace

OneSpeed

TS Evangelist
The basic SB model is probably the first legitimate Macbook Air competitor Microsoft has produced..but their still not Apple so they can't expect much success at that price. And its big brother? For less money you could have a more powerful gaming laptop *and* either a large, top-end Android tablet or the latest iPad Air. Is the two-in-one factor really that compelling? I just don't see it.
ipad air will not play games like this machine with the nvidia chip. no comparison. now, about the price...

cartera

TS Evangelist
Ooooooooooooooo.... I like :)

the detachable GPU is interesting, gaming laptop owners have been screaming for a universal one of these for years. One step closer.

Evernessince

地獄らしい人間動物園
The detachable GPU is the best part about this. Now people can finally have a device that fulfills the needs of a laptop and a tablet without making battery life sacrifices.

I think this could only be the start too. What if the detachable interlink was standardized so that OEMs could sell the base and screen parts separately? This would give laptops that customization appeal that desktops have, to a certain degree at least.

Skidmarksdeluxe

TS Evangelist
I was watching those shills from M$ brag about it on stage during their presentation and honestly, I like it but next years offering will be better still.

Last edited:

Kibaruk

TechSpot Paladin
Hahaha it seems like you don't Surface too much. Whole corporation runs on those and are A-mazing.