Microsoft's slow development of Windows Phone frustrates Nokia

Scorpus

Staff member

Nokia is apparently frustrated by the slow pace of Microsoft's Windows Phone platform development, suggesting that there is not enough of a reason to switch, and that this has the company facing an uphill battle to sway users to picking up one of their Lumia smartphones.

Nokia vice president Bryan Biniak said in an interview with International Business Times that apps on Windows Phone need to be better than on competing platforms, and that Nokia needs to provide "unique experiences that you can't get on your other devices". Microsoft's mentality of delivering minor updates, such as GDR2 which enables FM radio and Bluetooth 4.0 on select phones, in between major releases, such as the upcoming Windows Phone "Blue" update, is not fast enough at delivering the features users want.

Biniak laments every "missed opportunity of a sale" that comes from "an app that somebody cares about" not being on Windows Phone, stating "you can't sell a phone without the apps, you just can't". Nokia is trying to evolve the thinking at Microsoft that places Windows Phone development far behind its big guns like Office and Windows, with Biniak saying "waiting until the end of your fiscal year when you need to close your targets, doesn't do us any good when I have phones to sell today."

Critically, he says that Nokia doesn't "want to rely on somebody else and sit and wait for them to get it right." He believes the app situation is improving and that by the end of 2013 people won't be complaining about the lack of key applications, promising important apps are on their way, but progress is still slow.

Recently Nokia has been pushing their own software updates to Lumia devices to address shortcomings in Windows Phone's feature set. The setting to show the time on the phone's display even when it's turned 'off' will be soon coming to most Lumia phones, as will the Lumia 1020's Pro Camera app that gives greater control over Nokia's PureView-packing cameras. Hopefully Microsoft can release Windows Phone "Blue" in reasonable time, before competitiors can stride far ahead.

Permalink to story.

He's right you know. Microsoft is playing it a little too safe if you ask me. They need to take some lessons from Google.

That's what you get for backing an obvious loser. Nokia should have supported its own *nix-based platform like Meego with easy porting of Android apps. If Elop hadn't infiltrated the company that's what most likely would have happened.

Microsoft is probably proceeding with their Phone development as fast as they are for Windows and Office. The difference is Samsung, Apple and Google are going as fast as humanly possible and Microsoft is stuck on their normal Office/Windows pace of 'we don't have any competitors'.

Maybe Nokia should make an Android phone... that'll get MS's butt in gear.

I'm very satisfied with my windows phone. Most apps worth having are on android and ios are now on windows phone. A lot of people go after the gimmicks offered my android and ios and hardly ever use them. I do three things on my phone: make calls, look things up on the web and take pictures, 920 does all of those beautifully. Now, that's not to say it isn't with out its problems. Taking Zune media player out of wp8 and replacing it with Xbox music was retarded.

ms needs to get their act together on a lot of things, but I think a lot of it has to do with the smartphone wars already being over. MS got in late game and is suffering because of it. People already either like android or iPhones and hate change. Its not that windows phone isn't as capable as the others, developers just aren't attracted to it because of its relative low market share.

If MS had to listen to me, I'd tell them to give Nokia complete control for the next year, year and a half. MS is trying to do too much at once right now, and it's not working.

Microsoft is taking it slowly to wait and see if Nokia will burn to the ground. Buying Nokia at $1.25 is Ballmer's evil plan. That evil bastid.

Does Nokia have a contract with Microsoft to only sell Windows Phones or what's up? They could definitely sell a good Android Phone, at least to pressure Microsoft.

There is a user market for a Windows phone for those that aren't interested in buying spiritually evil symbolic trademarks of Apple (Think Adam and Eve and the fall of man as their first computer sold for $666.66). Google seems to be going the more indirect way of Artificial Intelligence to achieve the same goal. I will plead ignorance and buy a windows phone so as to not throw my money at the companies most eager to disprove there is a God responsible for Creation.

Microsoft I always too late to the game! Zune! Music store! And especially there phones.

Back