1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft's updated 'Wireless Display' app lets you stream PC games through the Xbox One

By Polycount ยท 5 replies
Mar 13, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's major focus lately has been to blur the line between PCs and the Xbox One, at least in the realm of gaming. For the most part, its attempts to do that so far have been relatively successful.

The Xbox Play Anywhere initiative has allowed customers to play select games across both PC and console with a single copy, and mod support is arriving for an increasing number of console titles.

If that's not interesting enough for you, Microsoft could even be working on a way to let users play Xbox-exclusive games on PC.

While it may be some time before that functionality arrives, the reverse has become easier than ever today, courtesy of Microsoft's newly-updated "Wireless Display" app.

The app now lets you seamlessly stream PC content -- such as games -- to your TV through your Xbox One. It's basically a Steam Link, but without the need to hook up yet another streaming device to your display.

In short, if you happen to own both a gaming rig and an Xbox One and you get the urge to play, say, your modded copy of Skyrim on the big screen, you can do so a bit more conveniently now.

The main drawback here is that because Wireless Display is an Xbox app, you'll need to use an Xbox One controller to navigate your PC. However, given that the Xbox One recently received mouse and keyboard support for select games, that could change soon.

Permalink to story.

2. gamerdood

gamerdood TS Member Posts: 16   +15

Half baked implementation... only over wireless? They should build this functionality into the Xbox App on Windows 10 and let you stream from PC to Xbox at the highest possible bitrate and quality with a consistent stream over a wired connection... Xbox App can index any games on your machine (by specifying folders to search) and then they're all available to stream to the TV

I already have an NVIDIA SHIELD on both TVs in my house... lets me do all my games (GOG and Origin included)... used to use hardware Steam Links, but they don't do 4K and the SHIELD has power in abundance for streaming and it's made by NVIDIA, so with an NVIDIA GPU, it's the perfect pairing

BSim500 likes this.
  3. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 389   +273

I'm glad MS is working on new and inventive ways to increase the latency of my PC gaming.

(y) (Y)(y) (Y)(y) (Y)

QuantumPhysics likes this.
  4. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 611   +397

You beat me to it.

5. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 611   +397

If I was Microsoft's CEO, the Xbox One would have USB input for keyboard and mouse and be able to run PC games as well as Xbox One games.

The Xbox One would be the best, most least expensive gaming PC you could buy - vastly undercutting even the GPU cards.

You college students could use Xbox One with an HDMI monitor to use Microsoft Office and browse the internet.

I'd form partnerships with PC game developers to develop exclusives for Xbox.

I'd have brought Sony to its knees.

WHAT I WOULDN'T DO is offer you high-latency crossplay solutions cause that's just dumb.

6. ZackL04

ZackL04 TS Maniac Posts: 472   +236

Does this just duplicate your desktop then? Im considering trying some emulation...