Microsoft's Windows 10 preview build arrives with a huge number of new features

midian182

Staff member

Microsoft released the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 for PC testers in the Fast Ring yesterday, showing off a huge number of new features and improvements. It gives us an idea what to expect in the Windows 10 Creators Update, which is due sometime this spring.

One of the more interesting new additions is the option to pause new updates for up to 35 days. Users can also choose whether or not to include driver updates when they want to update Windows. Sadly, these features will only be available with Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows, not the Home version.

Microsoft is trying to get more consumers to choose Edge as their browser of choice by introducing some improvements. The tab preview bar lets users see a visual preview of every tab they have open without leaving the current page. There are also new buttons for saving and restoring sets of tabs, and the ability to launch a new window or new InPrivate window straight from the Edge Taskbar icon. And like so many other browsers, Edge will now block Flash content by default.

For those who find themselves using Windows late into the night, Microsoft now lets you lower the amount of blue light that emits from the screen. A similar feature is employed by Google Play Books and in the Drift TV box, and is said to aid sleep by reducing the melatonin-blocking blue spectrum light.

The green screen of death makes an appearance in the build. But, as reported last month, this is only to distinguish between Windows Insider reports and reports of those on production builds. The long-used BSOD will still be present in the final release of the Windows 10 Creators Update.

While the interface remains pretty much the same, there are a few small changes: start tiles can now be grouped into folders; the Windows Share experience pop-up lets users quickly pick the app they want to share content to; and a new screenshot feature can capture a region of a screen and copy it to the clipboard for pasting into apps.

Other updates include a smarter Cortana, Windows Ink improvements, simplified and faster VPN access, high DPI support for desktop apps, and much more. Check out the entire list of changes here.

The Windows 10 Creators Update is schedule for release this April.

Permalink to story.

In a couple of years this might actually be a good OS.
I actually think it´s the best Windows OS ever. Have it since the first week (first time I did that), never had a single problem, reboot, BSOD, nothing. Love it.

I'm with this guy. no problems here, I don't know what all the fuss is about. if I want to see something silly I'll try and take a photo wth my kids ipod touch in landscape mode. then you'll see how a few of the settings text buttons will sit on top of each other and it' just a garbled mess. been that way for yrs now.

I actually think it´s the best Windows OS ever. Have it since the first week (first time I did that), never had a single problem, reboot, BSOD, nothing. Love it.

Yeah, it goes alright. Almost (almost) makes me forget how bad 8 was.........

I'm with this guy. no problems here, I don't know what all the fuss is about. if I want to see something silly I'll try and take a photo wth my kids ipod touch in landscape mode. then you'll see how a few of the settings text buttons will sit on top of each other and it' just a garbled mess. been that way for yrs now.
The latest windows always tends to be called the best lol.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the OS, besides the massive privacy invasion, total lack of freedom and general user hostility and hostage taking that it underpins. Oh well ! Lucky for you it works - or perhaps not so lucky. It's a POV thing.

"The tab preview bar lets users see a visual preview of every tab they have open without leaving the current page."

I don't use Edge, but this is pretty cool.

Yeah, 10 has no problems except updates break user defined wifi hotspots, I.e., hostednetwork, updates overwrite customized entries in the registry that break things like caller id and multiple instances of the same drive showing up in explorer, updates switch your default Browser to Edge and then asks you if you really, really, really, really want to use something other than Edge when you switch your default browser back to what it was, one update caused many computers to continuously reboot even though you specifically chose shutdown from the power menu, one update broke automatic hibernation and instead put the computer to sleep, one update produced a completely black screen except for the mouse cursor and made my computer totally useless, a colleague of mine has had multiple different updates that made his computer unusable for several days while he tried to figure out what had went wrong. But heck, who needs to use their computer anyway? M$ knows better how to use it for us!

If the update does not break ANYTHING, I might go to it, but I do image backups, and if it breaks anything, my image backup will be gainfully employed.

New features look great, I'm sad that updates are not pausable in home edition, yet I don't care about automatic updates, only wish the reboot to install could be postponed.

Talking about unpopular...

Yeah, 10 has no problems except updates break user defined wifi hotspots, I.e., hostednetwork, updates overwrite customized entries in the registry that break things like caller id and multiple instances of the same drive showing up in explorer, updates switch your default Browser to Edge and then asks you if you really, really, really, really want to use something other than Edge when you switch your default browser back to what it was, one update caused many computers to continuously reboot even though you specifically chose shutdown from the power menu, one update broke automatic hibernation and instead put the computer to sleep, one update produced a completely black screen except for the mouse cursor and made my computer totally useless, a colleague of mine has had multiple different updates that made his computer unusable for several days while he tried to figure out what had went wrong. But heck, who needs to use their computer anyway? M$ knows better how to use it for us!

If the update does not break ANYTHING, I might go to it, but I do image backups, and if it breaks anything, my image backup will be gainfully employed.
they fixed the "default apps" now (the Edge thing was a bug) and you also won't see the apps you unistalled being installed again.
and for the love of god stop complaining about bugs when using insider builds. just stay on the slow ring, report the bugs and hope that you'll see a fix for it in future builds.
for your knowledge, I've literally installed windows 10 on tens of PCs and none of them had any bugs when upgrading with the exception of maybe one which had a broken HDD and the boot was corrupted.
it's one of the most stable OSes MS ever released.

I have no idea what you have been doing with your PC, but with it breaking so much I'm starting to think that it's not the OS at fault.

Last edited:
I like the idea of folders in tiles and the updates don't bother me in the least but the browser does, beyond all reason, M$ can't pay me enough to use it, even if they stand on their heads and whistle ' God save that Chump Trump' or is that 'God save the queen'?.. through their buttholes, I still won't touch it.

I like the idea of folders in tiles and the updates don't bother me in the least but the browser does, beyond all reason, M$ can't pay me enough to use it, even if they stand on their heads and whistle ' God save that Chump Trump' or is that 'God save the queen'?.. through their buttholes, I still won't touch it.
in general you don't need to use it unless you maybe absolutely need save on battery life, something which Edge does well.

in general you don't need to use it unless you maybe absolutely need save on battery life, something which Edge does well.
I dunno but if you say so, I'll take it as gospel. I don't use Windows on anything other than desktop PC's. It' been a while since I've used a laptop, ever since I retired in fact, and I simply haven't got any use for them anymore. A Windows desktop PC and two Android phones amply covers all my computing needs these days.

Folders in tiles ... so much advancement, too much wow.
M$ is full of surprises. They surprised me by catching up with this basic logical feature. Normally all they're after is everyone's personal details, what they ate for dinner 3 weeks ago, not to mention what colour skivvies they're wearing today but they go about it in such a surreptitious way instead of just following and reading some peoples FB posts where they'll easily find all that info anyway.

High DPI support for desktop apps.... Finally. Maybe I can now use my surface pro 3 at our native display resolution.

10 still sucks in my opinion though. They removed advanced customization features, the new start menu still is difficult to navigate, and updates still break things. The 1607 update made my sp3 nearly unusable, I had to re image and pull the update from WSUS.

I recently took the plunge and acquired a new AT&T Surface 3 running Win 10 on the Atom processor. This was probably designed for the RT era. It has a cell phone modem and runs a voltage that I can charge from a car power plug.
I am amazed that I have been able to load Nuance Naturally Speaking (10.5) and it rums rather well on this way low-powered tablet. Better w/ my Sennheiser but OK w/ the built in mike in quiet conditions. The keyboard cover was free and has very nice keys which are even back-lit!
I am amazed at both the complexity of the Win 10 software as well as the tight integration of most of its features.
My main complaint is the Home edition of Win 10. I'm rather tempted to load Pro and see if the little tablet that could would still run as well and add gain some networking smarts as well as allow me to have an Admin user tool.
I am very impressed. So much so, I went to the MS Store the next day to buy an i5 Surface 4 Pro with 8 GB RAM and a 500 GB SSD. Alas, no cell phone network capabilities in the current Surface. Also, you must buy an i7 to get > 256 GB SSD. Might as well get the one with 16 GB RAM w/ a 1 TB SSD . I will be a customer as soon as they add the mobile phone modem.
I also was ready to buy and load Win 10 Pro on all 4 of my other computers until I read about the increased surveillance in the next update. Bummer! Have they no shame?

---came back to say that after I typed this I saw my kids ipod and went to check that it still had this issue. it doesn't, so at some point they fixed it.

I love the privacy complaints from people.... solution: try Googling "turn on (or off) privacy settings for windows 10"... problem solved :)

Back