Microsoft's Windows Store reaches 100,000 app milestone

David Tom

As of today, Microsoft’s Windows Store has reached 100,000 apps. Although still trailing Google and Apple by a considerable margin, the milestone is nothing short of impressive considering Windows 8 was unveiled just a short 8 months ago. To provide some comparison, it took both Microsoft  and Android nearly 18 months to reach these same figures with the Windows Phone Store and Google Play marketplace.

microsoft windows store windows 8 app google apple

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had predicted that the 100,000 app milestone would be set before the start of the Build Developers Conference. The conference came to an end on June 28, which means he was a few days off with his estimate. To officially announce the accomplishment, Microsoft sent a tweet via its Windows App Builders account, writing, “Thanks for a great \\build! Just passed 100k apps in the Windows Store.”

Microsoft still has a lot of catching up to do if it wants to compete with Apple and Android. The Google Play Store offers upwards of 700,000 apps, while Apple boasts a remarkable 850,000 iPhone apps and 350,000 iPad apps. To draw in app developers, Microsoft is offering up to 80% in revenue sharing for apps that exceed $25,000.

The Redmond-based company is adamant that this pay structure is better than what rivals Apple and Google provide. Developers are also given some flexibility, seeing as they can offer trial versions of their software on the store, and apps can be written in languages that include C++, Visual Basic, C#, and JavaScript.

Despite the achievement, several analysts argue that these numbers are inflated. A significant portion of the apps supposedly lack the same quality and functionality as those in the Apple App Store or the Google Play marketplace. That being said, Google Play has faced similar accusations in the past, which might indicate that such setbacks are normal for an app store at this developmental stage.

Furthermore, big fish are finally making their way to Windows 8, as premier offerings such as Facebook, Flipboard, and Foursquare are to be added to the platform in the next few months

Permalink to story.

Quantity does not have a thing to do with Quality... Besides, how does that truly compare to Google Play store or the Apple Store? Others have over 600k each but odds are better the good apps will be there. Problem right now is the malicious apps are EVERYWHERE...

Techspot is a place where people come to whine about anything Microsoft. First is was they don't have enough apps, now it is about quality. I predict that when windows apps store is on par with the other platforms. There will be something that people will whine about. Maybe it will be: "These apps are terrible, they don't project holographic images, neither can they read my mind.

The fact is that they got to 100,000 apps in 7 months, that is way faster than the competition. Of course there are junk apps what platform doesn't have them. People won't give the platform the chance to mature, they are just quick to resort to M$ bashing.There is no platform without a few quirks, let me hear someone whine about the security issues with android which is infested with the most malware.

I for one believe that this is good, give people a better option, and I do believe that Windows is the best platform out there. I t is just going through its growing pains after all Rome wasn't built in a day.

Techspot is a place where people come to whine about anything Microsoft. First is was they don't have enough apps, now it is about quality. I predict that when windows apps store is on par with the other platforms. There will be something that people will whine about. Maybe it will be: "These apps are terrible, they don't project holographic images, neither can they read my mind.

The fact is that they got to 100,000 apps in 7 months, that is way faster than the competition. Of course there are junk apps what platform doesn't have them. People won't give the platform the chance to mature, they are just quick to resort to M$ bashing.There is no platform without a few quirks, let me hear someone whine about the security issues with android which is infested with the most malware.

I for one believe that this is good, give people a better option, and I do believe that Windows is the best platform out there. I t is just going through its growing pains after all Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm somewhat with you. I believe this good, as it is inevitable Windows 8 will continue to grow in the touch-input market, especially after recently passing Vista worldwide. I also think that with the convergence of Windows Phone's NT kernel, things will greatly benefit developers, and consequently, consumers. Code once, target everyone.

I do have to say, however, that quality is important. There are still many official apps missing. For instance, there's no official YouTube app or Facebook app. I think it comes down to how MS is perceived by its peers; it's kind of like that kid other kids play with only because he owns the biggest house, and has some cool toys; not necessarily because he's a good friend (or listener).

Truth is, no one wants to code for a platform, not matter how good its tools are (and they are better than Google Play, trust me) if there are no customers in it. No wonder they'e trying to offset this by giving higher monetary incentives.

Ultimately, I think it's the right thing to do. Convergence, that is. But they do have an uphill battle that will probably take years before it's on par.

Now if they could only get users to switch to windows phone to use these apps.

Just how many apps get downloaded? There do seem be a lot of Windows 8 users who bypass Metro. The only folks who cannot avoid Metro are RT users, but they represent a minority of a minority.

I think it comes down to how MS is perceived by its peers; it's kind of like that kid other kids play with only because he owns the biggest house, and has some cool toys; not necessarily because he's a good friend (or listener).

Truth is, no one wants to code for a platform, not matter how good its tools are (and they are better than Google Play, trust me) if there are no customers in it. No wonder they'e trying to offset this by giving higher monetary incentives.

Ultimately, I think it's the right thing to do. Convergence, that is. But they do have an uphill battle that will probably take years before it's on par.

I think MS's image is improving. The surface did actually help a little. I have a sister in college and her and her friends "don't think Apple is that cool anymore" (they all have iPhones), but they were impressed with the Surface. The problem of course is Steve Ballmer still wears a tie.

I wouldn't have called MS the rich kid, I'd have called them the minivan of the technology world. Undeniably useful, but not what you want to be seen around town driving.

MS has proven they will listen. They backtracked on their XB1 connectivity and they added a 'Start' button to Windows 8. It seems like they're trying hard to increase their relevance.

I don't think that MS is showing signs of listening. They are reacting to the result of poor decisions. The reversal on Xbox 1 only occurred when it was clear that sales would be seriously affected. They insisted on pushing ahead with an official policy of requiring internet connection every 24 hours despite considerable public disquiet about the proposal.

Back