Microtek Scanmaker 4800 Windows 7 driver?

pyromaster114

I recently upgraded this Sony Vaio VGN FZ290 (Thanks to some very helpful people here...) to Windows 7.

However, now a scanner that we had connected to it will not work... I have installed the driver from the manufacturer but for some reason it does not work.
The manufacturer claims that the windows XP driver will work for Windows 7... however it does not seem to at all.

The wizard it installs just says 'no scanner detected' no matter what I do.
The device manager in Windows 7 also claims that there is no driver installed at all for the scanner.

Anyone have any ideas?

Two things to try

I'd first try installing in XP compatibiity mode. Explore the driver's installation files. There's probably a Setup.exe or other .exe installer file. Right click the EXE file, select Properties->Compatibility tab. Try checking the box to Run this program in compatibility mode for XP SP3

Otherwise you might also try opening a "Virtual XP" window from Windows 7. Try installing the driver in virtual XP mode. Then run the scanner while in virtual XP mode

Many older scanners are not supported by win 7 unless in xp compatibility mode. I have an older canon scanner that is in this situation. You'll have to use compatibility mode with Win 7 professional.

Back