Migrating Windows 10 to SSD

hopgop1

Hi, I know I haven't been here for a while but I need some help. I recently purchased a 1tb hdd (b:) to go along with my current 1tb hdd (c:) as I am nearly out of space, and I also purchased a 120gb SSD (f:). I have Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 and the rest of my specs are below. I was wondering what is the best way to migrate my Windows 10 install from my currently full 1tb to my SSD without reinstalling Windows as I have an upgraded copy and I am not going back to 7 to upgrade to 10. My current plan is to back up 900gb or so of data to the fresh 1 tb and then clone the remaining >120gb to the SSD, but my dilemma is deleting the stuff currently on the 1tb drive (c:) as I can't delete the files that are in use by programs currently running but I have to delete everything apart from Windows on the (c:) to clone it. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Specs:
i5-3570k
GTX 970
8gb DDR3-1600
MSI Z77A-G43
2x 1tb WD Blue
120gb Sandisk Ultra II

You do have an option to clean install Windows 10. There is no need in falling back to Windows 7. Use an application to view your license key. I used ProduKey to extract mine.

produkey.gif

With the product key listing for Windows 10, you can then activate a clean install. Or if you are currently logged into MS account, your machine is already associated with your account, and all you would then need to do is login to your MS account with the clean install for activation.

So if I download a windows 10 ISO, install it to the SSD, then I can just sign in to my Microsoft account (how do I check if this is linked btw?) and it will activate my Windows?

Sign into your MS account and you will see a list of all the machines associated with the account. Any of those machines will re-activate from a clean install by signing into the account after install.

Only backup the system, and restore to the SSD. Unplug the old HDD, and choose to boot from the SSD. Not sure if the backup program you're using has can automatically only backup the system, but you can try free easeus todo backup.

You will end up with around 35Gb from a clean install,,
and it will launch MUCH faster,, be aware win 10 as installed doesnt actually turn off like win 7,, it just sort of sleeps. but thats fixable, if you want to.

So if I download a windows 10 ISO, install it to the SSD, then I can just sign in to my Microsoft account (how do I check if this is linked btw?) and it will activate my Windows?
  1. During installation if your serial is not accepted,just skip the step
  2. After installation and logging in to your account,search for activation
  3. Re-enter your Serial if not activated
  4. if you end up with a error,call up Microsoft service number and explain the situation and they should guide you to reactivate it
Offtopic
After everything is done run CrystalDiskmark to check if your SSD is running around or close to SATA 3 speeds

Back