Military officials say 5G is crucial to Space Force operations

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
The big picture: As more systems become interconnected to the Internet of Things (IoT), more wireless bandwidth is vital to keeping the data flowing smoothly. Being the frontrunner in building the 5G infrastructure is equally essential.

Although 5G technology is still quite far from being broadly implemented, the US military says, "Space-based communications will play a key role in connecting 5G devices." Officials also believe it will be vital to many of the missions taken by the newly formed Space Force. They feel the US should be the one to pave the way for the next generation of telecommunications technology.

“We need to up our game in 5G. As more autonomy moves to the edge of the internet of things, it’s going to have to be supported by more bandwidth,” said Air Force acquisition officer Will Roper. “It would be a shame if something that is going to control most of the data moving from machine to machine commercializes first overseas.”

The military supports the Huawei ban and hopes that our allies continue to stand behind it, too. While skirting around specifics, officials said a Chinese foothold in the US and friendly countries could undermine military operations.

“Our partnerships and our alliances and our friendships, we are about collaboration and cooperation, our adversaries are about coercion,” Lieutenant General David Thompson, one of the new commanders of the Space Force, told CNBC last week.

Democratic lawmakers in the US share the sentiment that China poses a 5G threat. In one of the few times that the House majority leader voiced agreement with the Trump administration, Nancy Pelosi urged allied countries not to use Huawei equipment, albeit for different reasons.

“If you want to build a collective conscience of values and respect for human rights and the rest, don’t go near Huawei and instead, let’s internationalize and build something together that will be about freedom of information,” the Speaker said at a security conference in Munich.

The consensus is that China would use 5G as an intelligence-gathering vector. The Trump administration banned the use of Huawei and ZTE equipment by government agencies and contractors in 2018, at the same time warning neighbor nations to do the same.

Intelligence officials in the US have long suspected Huawei of being a spying tool for the Chinese government, an allegation the company vehemently denies. However, earlier this year, US National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien said that the US has “evidence” proving the claims are valid.

“We have evidence that Huawei has the capability secretly to access sensitive and personal information in systems it maintains and sells around the world,” O’Brien said without giving specifics citing to security concerns.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo views all Chinese run tech companies as suspect, calling them “Chinese intelligence Trojans.”

Air Force Commander General Jeffrey Harrigian summed up the situation saying, “At the end of the day, I think we need to be clear-eyed [about] what the Chinese are trying to do with 5G. It’s something that globally we need to pay attention to because that’s a threat that frankly if you don’t pay attention to it, you’re going to get yourself in a square corner.”

Pelosi image credit: Sheila Fitzgerald via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I wonder when corporations were farming out American factories to China in order to increase their profits using virtual slave labor if they ever considered the possibility that they would make China’s economy so strong that China would end up being Americas rival in just about every single industry since they control most means of production?

Last edited:
USA is not better than China regarding espionage. If USA technologies for 5G will be used in Canada. The NSA will listen on the line even if Canada is an allies. Don't trust China but also the government of the USA.

USA is not better than China regarding espionage. If USA technologies for 5G will be used in Canada. The NSA will listen on the line even if Canada is an allies. Don't trust China but also the government of the USA.

The USA is most definitely “better” than China regarding espionage.

Everyone around the world spies on everyone else, if this is a new concept to anyone I heavily suggest performing actual research on the subject. China has motives, and they’re obvious and corrupt.

For one example, Scotland Yard spies on the US, and vice versa; everyone spies on everyone in this world. Welcome to reality. Comparing China’s tactics & intentions to either of these countries is laughable.

Common sense is the new Latin.. it’s becoming a lost art.

I wonder when corporations were farming out American factories to China in order to increase their profits using virtual slave labor if they ever considered the possibility that they would make China’s economy is so strong that Chyna would end up being Americas rival in just about every single industry since they control most means of production?
Of course they didn't. There was only one thing in the eyes of American corporations when farming out product assembly to China - ???

Last time I checked the USA didn't run ddos attacks on Chinese companies to steal data, I've also not heard of them helping a rouge state blackmail a major movie studio.

Everyone around the world spies on everyone else, if this is a new concept to anyone I heavily suggest performing actual research on the subject. China has motives, and they’re obvious and corrupt.

For one example, Scotland Yard spies on the US, and vice versa; everyone spies on everyone in this world. Welcome to reality. Comparing China’s tactics & intentions to either of these countries is laughable.

Common courtesy is a lost art. Was it really necessary to be condescending to that guy?

"spying" on both enemy and friendly nations has been going on since before the second world war .... the real issue is how that information is used. China established their track record long before the Korean war and have never stopped, but so has Russia and a number of other communist nations. It's a simple fact that ANY product, issue, procedure, etc. that can be turned around for intelligence gathering, will be. When all products for domestic purposes were made domestically it was far easier to control but now that we have a global economy it has become necessary to identify the ways & means being used.

China, Russia, North Korea use their intelligence gathering to directly hurt their competitors through their direct actions rather than simply using information to gain a competitive advantage. By any other name this is warfare and must be attacked head on. Russia realizes this and has taken steps to close the loop on their internet system and you can bet they are sharing this technology. Sooner or later we will be forced to do the same and the boundaries of the internet will clearly match the same physical boundaries of the country.

THAT is the modern, new world ......

lol the NSA works with CSIS there is no need to them to do any of that. Both countries are part of the Five Eyes and exchange information. Maybe time to learn some facts instead of making stuff up. Or take off the tin foil hat!

lol the NSA works with CSIS there is no need to them to do any of that. Both countries are part of the Five Eyes and exchange information. Maybe time to learn some facts instead of making stuff up. Or take off the tin foil hat!
I know about the Five Eyes but why there is no need to NSA to do any of that ? NSA is used by the USA government in conjunction with DOJ to help american companies against companies in allied countries. Also it is not CSIS that is like NSA in Canada, it is CSE. Maybe you have to learn some real facts.

I am not very good in english so it may explain why there is confusion around my use of the word 'better'. I mean USA is not morally superior to China regarding espionage. The only other thing you have to say is that everyone spy everyone else, I did not thought to include it in my post since it is obvious. I think you should have used Toxic instead of Hexic.

Common courtesy is a lost art. Was it really necessary to be condescending to that guy?
You make a good point here, I am not good in english so sometimes people don't understand my posts. Thank you for defending me, I just reply to Hexic.

Back