Minecraft gets Oculus Rift support via third-party mod

Nirkon

Oculus Rift, the virtual reality visor that came into fruition after an incredibly successful Kickstarter campaign last summer is still making waves around the internet. If you are one of the lucky few to own a headset unit -- or have one on preorder -- and happen to be be a fan of sandbox sensation Minecraft, here's something that might make your head turn: MTBS3D forum user StellaArtois has developed a mod to enable Oculus Rift support.

Dubbed Minecrift, the fan-made modification is still in need of some tweaking, but it already incorporates head tracking and warping. StellaArtois explains that it took extensive understanding of the OpenGL API in order to devise a solution, especially when the mod was created even before his Rift dev kit arrived, as he had to rely on other forum users to provide feedback for tweaking.

Minecraft developer Mojang had previously expressed interest in the VR headset and already has one in house, but official support for the Rift isn't on the horizon yet. Nathan Adams, one of the game's developers recently tweeted that fully implementing Rift support for Minecraft would take a lot of work but it's not impossible, "especially with the new launcher."

Check out the video above for a taste of Minecrift in action.

Permalink to story.

The only reason I haven't gotten an Oculus Rift yet is I hear the consumer version is going to have higher resolution displays. I'm holding out for that but for this price it's pretty hard. These things are so inexpensive for what they seem to do and I haven't seen a single video of a user saying they weren't incredible.

Minecraft could never do any projection method justice in my book. Might as well be playing games of the 90's with it.

Back