Ming-Chi Kuo: low demand could see Apple discontinue the iPhone X this summer

midian182

Staff member

Could the iPhone X become one of Apple’s most short-lived smartphone? That the opinion of renowned KGI Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who believes low demand for Apple’s flagship might result in production ceasing this summer.

According to a KGI report obtained by AppleInsider, the main factor behind Apple’s thinking is the lukewarm reception toward the iPhone X in China. Apple is the fifth biggest phone manufacturer in the Asian nation, and the only foreign company to appear in the country’s top ten best-selling handsets list—the iPhone 7 Plus took the second spot. But Chinese consumers have a penchant for phones with large displays, and they view the iPhone X’s contentious notch as taking up too much screen real estate.

Kuo said Apple would release three new phones this fall. Instead of dropping the price of the iPhone X once they launch, the flagship will be “end of life” in the summer of 2018. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus will be discounted once the new devices are released.

Kuo still has some positive news for Apple, though. In addition to seeing a small 5 percent growth in the first half of the year, the company will end 2018 with an overall growth rate of 10 percent for the entire year, mostly thanks to the new handsets.

Much of the iPhone X’s technology and design are expected to appear in Apple’s next generation of phones, which include a second-gen 5.8-inch iPhone X, a 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus, and a new 6.1-inch iPhone SE that features Face ID and costs between $650 - $750. Apple hopes the two larger devices will appeal to the Chinese market.

Permalink to story.

Obviously, the price is ridiculous, I don't even think Jobs would of priced a phone this high. Only die hard and financially comfortable people will buy the X.

I can't think of anything that any company could do with a phone that would make it worth $1000+ at this point.

Obviously, the price is ridiculous, I don't even think Jobs would of priced a phone this high. Only die hard and financially comfortable people will buy the X.

I can't think of anything that any company could do with a phone that would make it worth $1000+ at this point.
If I could get an android phone guaranteed 5-7 years of updates, with an unlocked bootloader, SD card, stock android, LCD instead of OLED, and a REMOVABLE battery ala the note 4/S5, and a FOSS google-free option, I'd pay it just to get the nicer setup and avoiding having to replace the phone every 2 years.

So, really, just an updates note 2 with 5 years of support, AOSP ROM, and a modern SoC.

I don’t even want a front facing camera. Take your FaceID and F off. Ill be upgrading from an iPhone 6s to some flip phone before buying to that garbage.

We see this type of thing happen just before every one of Apple's quarterly reports. Some "analysts" will play the system, by creating a false negative report about Apple's business (in this case, that the iPhone X isn't selling [eyes rolling]) and/or magnifying the effect of a minor issue (in this case, "battery-gate").

It is easy to understand why those certain "analysts" do this, and the timing of their concocted reports.

Many investors and fund managers don't really follow Apple's business, and they rely on analysts to advise them on the company's status. Some analysts will take advantage of this, and produce negative reports about Apple's business, a week or two before Apple's upcoming quarterly report.

With Apple's stock price downgraded just before the quarterly report, those analysts have an opportunity to buy up discounted stock at bargain prices (even the reduction of a few points is worth their while). Then, following Apple's quarterly report (which invalidates the analysts' previous negative reports) the analysts are then in a position to sell their Apple stock at a higher price, making a very lucrative short-term profit.

This same scenario happens just before every Apple quarterly report, yet some investors never learn from the earlier times that this has happened. Those investors end up losing money as they panic and sell-off their short-term holdings in Apple stock, at a loss... And at the expense of those "analysts" profiting from the influence they wield.

Not to mention the Chi-Coms are making counterfeits being sold at a fraction of the cost.

Back