Minidump file for an XP SP2 crashing system

Attached is a minidump file for a machine that's consistently crashing. There is no blue screen, it just restarts and gives the critical system error message on reboot. The inside is very clean with no blockages on the fans or the heat sync. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• minidump.TXT
    3.9 KB · Views: 3
As per your text from your minidump it cites the Windows OS driver afd.sys as the issue. This has to do with networking. Noe usually OS drivers are too general to be of much diagnostic help because they are usually not the cause. Rather they point out there is a problem without pointing to what the problem is.

We need more information on your system, i.e did you build or buy it?

Thanks for the reply. It's a sony vaio PCV-C31L. 2.5GB of RAM, pentium 4 3.0GHz cpu. Windows XP Home with SP2. There have been no hardware additions to the system and the graphics are integrated. Let me know what other information you might need.

Go to Sony's website, find your exact laptop model's page and update the latest wireless/NIC drivers for your system. Tell us if you gain stability.

How old is this system?

Bleh, after my last reply I started a memtest and I'm up to 5000 errors and counting in the first pass. I guess my next question would be: is that always indicative of a RAM error, or is there the possibility of false readings because of other malfunctioning hardware (i.e. the bus on the motherboard is bad, etc.)

When you get even one error with memtest you have corrupted memory. The only exception is that from time to time memory corruption reads are the result of wrong voltage settings for the memory by the motherboard.

Ok, the reason I was asking is because the errors weren't being reported sporadically through the test, they are increasing consistently (and rapidly) as the test is running. It looks like it's still doing the test on the first memory slot so I'll see how the test goes when it starts on the other slots.

As far as the voltage, memtest is reporting that the CAS (I think that's the voltage meter) is 3-3-3-8. As far as I know there haven't been any changes made to the BIOS.

There are 8 individual tests per PASS. Though it may appear that all the test is doing is repeating the same patterns for every PASS cycle that isn't really the case at all. Memtest throws a myriad of patterns with never the two the same.

Back