Missing USB driver in Win XP

vomacka

I have a USB drive on my WinXP that does not work. The error message that I get , when I plug a flash drive in, says that the driver for the USB drive has not been installed.

Now I have 6 USB's on the system. All of them work but this one.
Device Manager shows 5 "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" entries. I assume these are for the 5 working USB drives(?) Am I missing one more USB entry for the 6th USB drive that does not work?

I need to install the missing driver for the 6th USB, but don't know how. I head that you could just uninstall all of the "Standard USB Host Controller" entries and have WinXP. re-install them after re-boot, but am not sure if this is correct.

Any help with installing the missing USB driver?

Thanks for your help

Scott

Im not sure if that is true but u can try go to website like if ur computer is dell go to www.dell.com/support and follow to drivers then lookfor your make and model laptop look under xp and download usb drivers

"Standard USB Host Controller" are the USB 1.1 devices and
the USB 2.0 devices show up as USB Enhanced Host Controller.

You can see yours
control panel->admin tools->computer mgmr->device Mgr
  • expand [+] Universal Serial Controls
You can also use the View menu at the top->Show Hidden Devices
You should NOT see yellow or red flags - - those are driver issues

Did your system come with both?

Yes, I do have both entries in the DM.
USB Problem.jpg

The highlighted item is the USB port that gives me "No driver installed"

Here is what the Microsoft site says:

Method 3: Disable and re-enable the USB controller

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, try the steps in the "Workaround" section.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
  4. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
  5. Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  6. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
  7. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.
If the USB port recognizes the device and if you can use the device, you are finished.

This is what I meant in my post above. I'm not to sure about doing this though.

Is there another way to get the missing USB driver installed?

Scott

You have one of two situations occurring (maybe both - as I forget the exact symptoms of one versus the other)
1. You are missing a USB driver (but 99.9% shouldn't be a disk or Controller driver) and/or
2. The hardware "handshake" that occurs when you connect a USB device to a USB port is failing. In which case, Windows can't properly identify just what the heck you're connecting to your computer

In any case and two things to do to check both conditions. Connect the device and get the error message. Then list any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Next, in DevMgr do not Show Hidden Devices. If you still see an Unknown Device now, right click Properties->Details Tab. The pulldown menu should be showing you the Device or Hardware ID. It will start in the form USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy. If xxxx and yyyy are all zero's it's handshake failure.

I think we are on to something here!!

I did not find any "problem devices" in msinfo32. All clear.

However....

I DID find, in DM, the "unknown device" entry that did have zeros (As you mentioned above) in the Device Instance ID. The hardware ID said: "USB\Unknown"

USB Problem1.jpg

So maybe we have isolated the problem?

What's next?

Scott

I think we are on to something here!!

Yea, but that's may be both good and bad news as when it's simply a missing driver, can be easier to fix... In any case, let's see....

What type of USB drive is this? A flash drive or external disk? Who makes it? Are you able to try it on another computer to see if it's recognized by a different machine?

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Click the Upload a File button to attach to your next TechSpot post

Back