Mobile devices to be 80% of Lenovo's sales in five years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's no secret that wireless devices are taking over the computing realm. Just last week, a Google executive told a baffled audience that desktops would be "irrelevant" in three years, eclipsed by the growing reliance on laptops, smartphones and other mobile systems. While that's probably a stretch, Lenovo says wireless Internet products will account for up to 80% of its sales within five years.

The computer maker dove into the mobile market earlier this year, introducing a smartphone as well as the IdeaPad U1 notebook/tablet hybrid and the Skylight smartbook. "Mobile Internet is very important," said Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanging, noting that laptop sales have already surpassed desktops.

Lenovo will focus on promoting mobile Internet and sales in emerging regions throughout Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. Yang said the company's long-term strategy, called "protect and attack," aims to expand its presence in China, which accounts for nearly half of Lenovo's global sales.

Permalink to story.

We need mobility. Thats why market give us iphone, ipad, netbooks, smartphones and so on. But there is 2 questions: batteries and connections. Batteries is equal to a new way of pollution. At the same side poor connectios are so diffused... so we all see same things: if someone go in one direction (hardware i mean) all must be in the same directions (speed of conn, "green" batteries, etc)

I'd be curious to know what percentage of Lenovo's sales are wireless now. I'd be surprised if it was not over 50% at the moment.

Apple also identifies itself as mobile company. Now Lenovo too. I feel the shift from Desktop --> Mobile Platforms(phone,netbooks etc) is happening now!

Man, every major (and minor) tech manufacturer in the world is jumping on the mobile bandwagon. You'd think at some point in time there would be a saturation point hit and these companies would start losing money due to too many products on the market.

God. why get rid of desktops? i love my laptops, ipods, and netbook, but the only reason my house isnt full of desktops (literally!) is because I cant afford it! desktops have higher specs, are harder to steal, and you can cheaply replace a cracked monitor with a much larger, up-to-date model. the number of ports and efficiency greatly surpass most laptops also. I have had my eye on a black widow gaming pc for a while now. just think! no laggy emulators (kind of) pretty much all the space you want, and no obligation to bring it on trips. even if you do need it on one, just borrow someone elses and grab a remote access program. i run it from my ipod and I just sit there watching hometar or the likes. you can access most files, maybe all and the speed isnt diminished tooooo much! so there is no reason to give up on desktops!

lenovo is a great company! i am using its laptop since last 2 years and its like a butter! very smooth operation and very silent! lenovo SHOULD concentrate on mobile devices!
their desktops aren't hit as their mobile devices are!
BEST OF LUCK for the future! LENOVO!

Might happen of the most probability!... That Idea Pad U1 is really cool. It looks elegant and innovative. I'm sure it's not just the looks but the features as well. I'd like to have one...

There is a big probability that after three years desktop computers would become irrelevant but it not that big issue. Anyway desktop manufactures could easily coop up to the latest technology especially in the way they propagate their products..

Thanks......

Graphics and expansion capability. If you dont need these you don't need a desktop. Only those people who casually use hardware can safely go mobile. This will not include high end processors or current graphics cards necessary for the photo editing or gaming bunch.

You would not want to do these things day in day out. Mobile has it's place, desktops are already being replaced. But I would not thumb my nose at desktops. Even a lower end eMachine can perform wonders compared to hardware from 5 years ago.

Lenovo will carve out it's market, that's all.

Only reason why laptops outsell desktops is because people have smarted up and they now build there own desktop PC's instead of getting ripped off by dell and other computer company's. You can't build your own laptop or other wireless devices that is why there is a greater market to sell to if your not a wholesale computer parts company.

I do agree that it's gonna be a big deal for us and I am looking forward that google could prove that after a years desktop computers will become irrelevant....

Thanks...

Wow, didn't expect this from Lenovo at all...

Who didn't already know that Lenovo is focusing on spreading it's mobile technology presence over the world as is any company's want?

While i'm not traditionally someone who considers laptops/netbooks to be the greatest thing to grace the world of man in recent years the inevitable spread of mobile computing has begun to look attractive to me, marketing works.

80% in five years seems kinda high, only seen one concept phone from them, on the internet. It's going to be hard to meet that goal Lenovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back