Modder proves that the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti supports 22GB of GDDR6 memory

jsilva

Staff
What just happened? Known for doubling the VRAM of an RTX 3070 and an RTX 2070 card, Vik-On has now done something similar to an RTX 2080 Ti. Although he couldn't actually mod 22GB of GDDR6 memory into an RTX 2080 Ti card, he has proven that such feat is possible with the right skills, equipment, and the correct firmware.

If you have watched the video where the modder doubles the memory of an RTX 3070 card, you may fully appreciate how complex this process can be. However, in his latest attempt to mod a graphics card, he complicated things a bit more.

Instead of just adding memory to a brand new card and making the appropriate adjustments for it to work, the modder grabbed a used and damaged RTX 2080 Ti. The card had already gone through three different stores to be repaired, but instead of fixing it, the card just got worse.

When all seemed lost, the modder took matters into his own hands. After resoldering the GPU, fixing and testing the PCB, and installing new memory chips and other missing components, VIK-on made a strap mod to trick the GPU BIOS into supporting more memory.

Due to the ongoing chip shortage, the modder couldn't get 2GB memory modules to prove that the card physically supports 22GB of VRAM. Instead, he had to use Samsung K4Z80325BC-HC14 modules with 1GB each, meaning the card had the same 11GB as it originally had.

In the video, you can see that the strap mod was enough to prove that the GPU does indeed supports more than 11GB of VRAM, but the system wasn't completely stable. Despite completing a SuperPosition benchmark run, the modder stated that the system wasn't good enough for daily use as it starts to show some artifacts over time.

Permalink to story.

QuantumPhysics

There's a whole lot of cards that can be upgraded with more memory. I've even seen it done on smartphones.

Thing is:

#1 You probably can't find a 2080Ti right now

#2 You're better off investing in a 3000 series card.

#3 If you've got enough money to get that much memory, you might as well buy a 3090 - even if it's scalped.

Kosmoz

2080Ti does not need 22GB Vram... It does not have the power to take advantage of those 22GB.

Now the 3070 would do great with 10/12/16GB, anything but the pathetic 8GB it has, the same applies to 3080 with it's 10GB, anything above that would help a lot - so here comes the 3080Ti, because of that.

I consider 8GB cards for 1080p Ultra + RT, 10GB cards for 1440p Ultra + RT, and 12GB+ for 4k Ultra + RT, but that's just me. I'm sure there are some that game at 4k on 8GB Vram and are "happy" (with lower IQ settings).
- And those numbers are for 2021, who knows how demanding games will be in a few years time...

QuantumPhysics

2080Ti does not need 22GB Vram... It does not have the power to take advantage of those 22GB.

Now the 3070 would do great with 10/12/16GB, anything but the pathetic 8GB it has, the same applies to 3080 with it's 10GB, anything above that would help a lot - so here comes the 3080Ti, because of that.

I consider 8GB cards for 1080p Ultra + RT, 10GB cards for 1440p Ultra + RT, and 12GB+ for 4k Ultra + RT, but that's just me. I'm sure there are some that game at 4k on 8GB Vram and are "happy" (with lower IQ settings).
- And those numbers are for 2021, who knows how demanding games will be in a few years time...

I totally agree.

Personally I can never go backwards.

My 2080ti and my 3090FTW3 - even without using benchmarks - are like night and day on Max Settings with RTX enabled.

I would think the 3070 and 3080 would benefit from more RAM.

Not 22GB more - but "more" nonetheless.

Puiu

TechSpot Elite

Ignoring the huge elephant in the room: 3D modeling and rendering. The professional workloads eat up VRAM like you've never seen. Many people buy these high end cards for work.

Last edited:

Mister_K

Ignoring the huge elephant in the room: 3D modeling and rendering. The professional workloads eat up VRAM like you've never seen. Many people buy these high end cards for work.

I would die for more VRAM but I guess then there is Quadro cards for high VRAM applications. But regardless, the 3080 series should have started at 16/20 with the 3090 being at the right place.

Kosmoz

I agree about your "elephant", I disagree on the "huge" part. It means the 3D modeling/ rendering market is huge, compare to what? Because compared to gamers market is not huge... So actually those needs are in the minority and they do have other options with more Vram.

Again, an aging 2080Ti does not need 22GB Vram, nor does a 3070 need 22GB Vram (which has the same performance). But the latter does need at least 10GB or better 12GB.

Puiu

TechSpot Elite
I agree about your "elephant", I disagree on the "huge" part. It means the 3D modeling/ rendering market is huge, compare to what? Because compared to gamers market is not huge... So actually those needs are in the minority and they do have other options with more Vram.

Again, an aging 2080Ti does not need 22GB Vram, nor does a 3070 need 22GB Vram (which has the same performance). But the latter does need at least 10GB or better 12GB.
You are putting all gamers in the same basket when only 1 or 2% buy such high end cards like the 3080 or 2080ti. Believe it or not, a huge number of the high end cards are used by professionals because you don't always need Quadro cards to do certain workloads. Getting only 10-12GB at these prices is insulting at best and the 8GB on the 3070 is just criminal, you should never defend Nvidia on this point.

Kosmoz

You are putting all gamers in the same basket when only 1 or 2% buy such high end cards like the 3080 or 2080ti. Believe it or not, a huge number of the high end cards are used by professionals because you don't always need Quadro cards to do certain workloads. Getting only 10-12GB at these prices is insulting at best and the 8GB on the 3070 is just criminal, you should never defend Nvidia on this point.
How am I defending them, when I say they need more Vram in all my posts?
I only said it does not need 22GB for the 2080TI/3070. It's middle field performance card now, not top end... you have the 3090 for that.

Listen if you fantasize about a middle field card like 2080Ti with 22GB Vram,d ream all you like, I'm not stopping you.

Also do note AMD and (Intel DG2) both (will) have more Vram than nvidia GPUS, except one, the 3090. So you have options and I have options, I don't want an nvidia GPU anymore... F those chronic liars, moking gamers and making us beta testers for years buying at scalper prices.