Modders get Coffee Lake CPU running on 200/100-series chipset motherboards

midian182

Staff member

Intel’s 8th-generation Coffee Lake desktop chips might have upped the core count and include “the best gaming CPU ever,” but it was disappointing to learn that they are only compatible with new 300-series motherboards. It appears, however, that with a little tinkering it's possible to get some of these processors working on both 200-series and 100-series chipset mobos.

Even though they use the same LGA 1151 socket that’s been around since Skylake launched in 2015, Intel says its Coffee Lake chips are not compatible with 200/100-series motherboards. The company said this is because of more pins being allocated for power delivery, which is a requirement due to the six-core configurations.

But over on the Win-Raid forums, rootuser123, LittleHill, dsanke, elisw, Mov AX, and 0xDEAD managed to prove Intel wrong by getting a Coffee Lake chip to run on both 200-series and even 100-series boards.

By adding the Coffee Lake CPU’s microcode, the iGPU's UEFI GOP driver, and some Management Engine bootstraps on the side of the motherboard BIOS, the modders had an 8th-gen chip running stable on the older platforms.

While this is an incredibly impressive feat, it's worth noting that the team was using a four core/four thread i3-8100 chip in its tests, rather than any of the six-core models. In the accompanying guide, they recommend not using the mod with i5 and i7 K-series CPUs because of the higher power limits, but it might still work with the non-K versions of these chips.

Back in December, a Chinese user got his Core i3-8350K processor to work on a Z170 motherboard, though it did cause a few issues.

Remeber to check out the Win-Raid forum, which contains guides, patches, and the initial think tank thread. Just make sure you know what you’re doing and understand the risks involved if you decide to try it.

Permalink to story.

I don't think Intel has anything to explain. Seems like indeed the difference is in power pins, and they may not be needed for the i3-8100. Or it could be that they are needed, but not strictly so; that is, the chip can draw enough power from other pins but it would lower its life span. Still, I'm perfectly willing to believe that an i3-8100 works fine as is with what the 200 series can provide. Nice to have this upgrade option in case I ever think of replacing my Pentium G4560.

Is there confirmation that i5/i7 CPUs don't work or they use didn't test them?
At least for me it's clear in the article.
In the accompanying guide, they recommend not using the mod with i5 and i7 K-series CPUs because of the higher power limits, but it might still work with the non-K versions of these chips.

I don't think Intel has anything to explain. Seems like indeed the difference is in power pins, and they may not be needed for the i3-8100. Or it could be that they are needed, but not strictly so; that is, the chip can draw enough power from other pins but it would lower its life span. Still, I'm perfectly willing to believe that an i3-8100 works fine as is with what the 200 series can provide. Nice to have this upgrade option in case I ever think of replacing my Pentium G4560.
not really a huge upgrade there :D

not really a huge upgrade there :D

Two extra physical cores will definitely make a difference

People are just butt hurt over Intel's slap in the **** tactics brought on by the 8th gen I series phasing them out once again, this time they did so without even changing the socket so naturally you'll have people trying anything they can to make the new chips work in the older boards. And honestly I can't blame them for trying, but when you have two physical cores added to the die you can't expect miracles to happen, good job on getting an... i3 to work, not like that will solve world hunger any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I too am a little butt hurt from the whole six core 8700k on the regular platform ordeal brought on by actual competition from AMD (finally upgraded from my x58 platform to x99 with a 6800K about a year ago now) but that's the PC lifestyle, what you buy today will be phased out tomorrow.

Hello techspot, I’m rootuser123, please correct the article to say the work was done from win-raid forums. I just shared the post on overclock.net due to it being more known than win-raid forums.

Back