Monitor displays nothing

Eon Blue

Hi guys, I recently purchased parts to make a new computer. Everything went fine and the computer powered on upon pressing the ON switch. My problem is that when I plug a monitor into the computer, the only thing that happens is that the monitor goes black and the LED light near the power switch turns yellow/orange. I tried switching out monitors to see if that helps, I even took out my video card and plugged the monitor directly into the motherboard's connection. Just hoping that anyone could help me as this is my first computer that I built.

Thanks in advance.

When you tried the new monitor on a different pc what happened? The same orange light as on first pc? You just need to prove what is 'good' (most of your new system will be) and what is faulty/connection problem/cable problem/etc.
You can test a monitor by; plug in the mains power lead. Nothing connected to the VGA input. Press the 'on' button, then press any of the 'menu' buttons. You should see a message on screen, such as 'Power saving mode, press any key on keyboard or move mouse'.
If you don't see any messages then the screen could be faulty from new.
If you do get an on screen message, then you know the fault is around Graphic card, or (just possibly) RAM, or other power cable missing problem.
Best test is to try your monitor on another, known to be working pc.

Go into your bios and check to see the setting for which monitor is first (pci, pci-e or onboard) change it to Pci-e and use your card again. There are a few bios that do not say Pci-e but other silly words so try that. I had a bad bios flash once that required me to use a pci-e card to reflash the bios, I couldn't even see a floppy boot from either pci or onboard (black screen as you describe) cause it somehow defaulted to pci-e. Once I put a Pci-e card in I could boot the floppy and reflash the bios and I was back in business.

Back