Monitor loses video card signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

Good day everyone,
I have an ATI 2900XT 512mb that has worked just fine on my PC until a few days, out of nothing it stopped sending the monitor signal. After disconnecting power cable from the pc and replugging it seemed to work again but lately it stopped sending the signal for good. I took out the video card, put it back in and it worked for just a few minutes. I've tried booting a few times and sometimes I get the monitor signal for just a few minutes, most of the time nothing at all and the mobo has error beeped a few times.

I've also noticed that when I boot pc and the monitor has no video signal the pc hasn't beeped, it's weird because it used to work fine and now if it does is just for less than 2 minutes.

I have a DFI P965 mobo and a Rosewill RP500-2 power supply.
Any clues on what could be the failure?

10x in advance!

A new home from the video card?

I have had similar issues in the past when all it took was to move the video card to a different slot. Sounds as if there are issues that seem to be intermittent pointing back to the video card. I would remove the video card use a good air cleaner (bottled air if possible) clean out all slots prior to reinstalling the video and try a new slot for the video card. A frustrating issue to say the least.
Regards.

Have you tried clearing CMOS and reconfiguring BIOS? There are other components that could cause the video to cut out, other than the video card itself. If you are still getting no video with the default settings, it's probably the video card. Also, make sure that your northbridge cooler is clear of dust or debris. If the chipset overheats the northbridge could fail resulting in the loss of video.

I tried the video card in another pc and the problem persisted, I had cleaned the video card a couple of weeks ago so I did not air blow it again... I'll blow it again and try again.

I did clear cmos and recondigured bios, it did not help.

Thanks for your replies, I'll try video card again after a good air blow.
Below is the card I have, I can only blow through the fan and the vent... is there a
special technique I need to follow?

card.jpg

You could take the card apart to gain better access to the cooling duct but I wouldn't think that would be necessary, especially if you're just looking to clear the dust out. If you hold the fan still and direct the air into the duct, you might be able to flush out the dust through the vent. If the card keeps failing for no reason I would replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back