More AMD GPUs are selling under MSRP in Europe as mining tanks

nanoguy

Staff member
Something to look forward to: GPU mining is becoming less profitable with every passing month, and with a bit of luck, Ethereum's transition to a proof of stake consensus will render the activity useless for profit-seekers. Retail stocks are also improving and next-gen graphics cards are set to launch in the coming months, so prices for current-gen hardware are under the pressure to drop to more sane levels.

For the past 18 months, Ethereum miners spent a whopping $15 billion to scoop up graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD, leaving gamers at the mercy of scalpers and second-hand sellers for almost any model from the past two generations of graphics hardware.

Add to that a storm of logistical problems, factory lockdowns, and component and material shortages, and you get GPUs that are only now approaching the retail prices they should have had at launch.

According to a report from 3DCenter, prices in some parts of Europe are finally touching MSRP levels. In the case of AMD cards, prices for models like the Radeon RX 6900 XT, RX 6700 XT, and RX 6600 XT, as well as refreshed models like the 6750 XT and 6650 XT can now be found between seven and 16 percent below MSRP.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3000 series GPUs are still priced at an average of two percent above the manufacturer-suggested levels. High-end models like the RTX 3090, RTX 3090 Ti, and RTX 3080 Ti are now selling at a modest discount ranging from eight to 16 percent. However, low-end and mid-range models are still hovering above MSRP — including the RTX 3070 (non-Ti), which is now almost two years old.

With Ethereum pricing now in free-fall, some speculate we may soon see miners selling off GPUs by the bucket on the second-hand market. With a bit of TLC, most of these cards will be able to chug along inside gaming PCs, but they do carry a risk of failure due to passive components that have been stressed 24/7 for mining purposes.

Either way, the pricing of both old and new graphics cards looks set for further drops in the coming months. There is some variation between regions and even between retailers/sellers in the same region, but the trend is visible around the world.

Our GPU Pricing and Availability update for June 2022 will land later this week, so make sure to check that out for a more detailed look at the current state of the graphics card market.

Permalink to story.

To be fair, the MSRPs of GPUs is ridiculous right now. I hope nVidia cards drop below MSRP soon.

Without the backing of mining o keep up the shortage, I'm curious if manufacturers will be able to keep the inflated prices they've set for graphics cards

This should affect Steam surveys quite a bit! :laughing:

The only question is, will gamers think with their brains for once or continue to overpay for green cards?

I honestly dont understand what has happened to the so called PC gaming master race, because they are all acting like little lemmings about this with their weird obsession with nvidia and intel part, even though, AMD offers similar or better products at now lower prices.

Better yet, these people have no morals either, because no matter how badly they get shafted by nvidia, they continue giving them or trying to give them more money, just look at the comment above yours...

Nvidia sold gpu directly to miners, they even shutdown their own store to dont even be forced to sell anything at msrp, yet AMD at least keep some at MSRP on their site.

And what do they want? to have their nvidia overlords reduce the msrp instead of giving them the middle finger in the same way that nvidia gave it to them.

Which just goes to show, consumers aren’t as stupid as some here would make them out to be.

Hardly anyone chose AMD GPUs when prices were high. And now that prices have come down the market is correctly pricing the inferior AMD GPU ecosystem at a discount. Remains to be seen if a significant percentage of buyers will fall for it.

To be fair, the MSRPs of GPUs is ridiculous right now. I hope nVidia cards drop below MSRP soon.

Without the backing of mining o keep up the shortage, I'm curious if manufacturers will be able to keep the inflated prices they've set for graphics cards
They are already below MSRP..
3080's are selling for $749 & 3080ti's are $1,099..!

The 6900 series outperforms Nvidia cards in many of the fps competitor games & these people are the ones who pay high prices to play. And the RTX cards prices can be found on sale now.

Oh I'm sure they will find some sort of excuse to try and keep the prices as high as possible for as long as possible. All these companies have gotten to used to making money hand over fist from super inflated prices and I am sure they do not want this to stop anytime soon.

I am really curious if we‘ll ever (not counting EOL close out) see cards like the 3060 at their supposed msrp.

If you look at Ampere prices, only the models that launched later with a noticeably higher msrp (with the exception of the 3090) are near or under msrp. Models with review(er) friendly low msrp are still above it.

I honestly dont understand what has happened to the so called PC gaming master race, because they are all acting like little lemmings about this with their weird obsession with nvidia and intel part, even though, AMD offers similar or better products at now lower prices.

Better yet, these people have no morals either, because no matter how badly they get shafted by nvidia, they continue giving them or trying to give them more money, just look at the comment above yours...

Nvidia sold gpu directly to miners, they even shutdown their own store to dont even be forced to sell anything at msrp, yet AMD at least keep some at MSRP on their site.

And what do they want? to have their nvidia overlords reduce the msrp instead of giving them the middle finger in the same way that nvidia gave it to them.
Back in the early 2000's, I coined a phrase that I've been very proud of ever since:
"Never underestimate the stupidity of the average human."
:laughing:

I've noticed the price drop. Same card I have costs more now, than it it did when I bought it in the mids of mining boom.

I'm sure they will try to find a way to keep prices up. Perhaps they will generate another fake crypto bullrun and there we go, every miner will be back in business for a year or two at least.

The answer is: They will continue to overpay.

The reason AMD cards can afford to fall is because earlier in the year, they raised prices to ludicrous level. Now, they can afford these cuts.

The fact that AMD has the audacity to charge $400 for a 128-bit 8GB Card in today's market still shows how foolish they've been! AMD's closest competitor to the 3060 Ti iis the overpriced 6700 XT!

The 6500 XT was also so broken they had to cut prices to move units! The 3050 wont return to msrp until AMD fixes that scrapheap; instead, the 3050's 50% performance advantage (even higher with the PCie 3. bump) is enough t get people to pay the extra!

AMD's top-end cards are excellent value, but everything else is an overpriced travesty (with too many caveats to make it the informed selection for patient gamers who have already been waiting!).

Last edited:
The reason AMD cards can afford to fall is because earlier in the year, they raised prices to ludicrous level. Now, they can afford these cuts.

The fact that AMD has the audacity to charge $400 for a 128-bit 8GB Card in today's market still shows how foolish they've been! AMD's closest competitor to the 3060 Ti iis the overpriced 6700 XT!

The 6500 XT was also so broken they had to cut prices to move units! The 3050 wont return to msrp until AMD fixes that scrapheap; instead, the 3050's 50% performance advantage (even higher with the PCie 3. bump) is enough t get people to pay the extra!

AMD's top-end cards are excellent value, but everything else is an overpriced travesty (with too many caveats to make it the informed selection for patient gamers who have already been waiting!).
Why would someone buy a 3050, when they can just buy a 6600xt or 6650 instead..?

I keep wondering ,who the fword is buying any model of Gpu that has lower performance than a 3070 and AMD equivalent (what is that?) And I an referring to people that already have a PC because all the others probably just go and buy something ready without thinking the future upgrade .
To be continued...I am on the job xaxaxa

Do you understand how this works?

The 6600 sells for a lower price than the 3050 and is it's competition. Oh, and the 6600 is 25% faster. You comparing the 3050 to the 6500 is a strawman because no person cross shops those 2 cards with the 3050 being 83% more expensive.

And then bringing up 128 bit or whatever other specs is completely irrelevant and another strawman. What's relevant is the performance you get for your money. And here you did the same thing as above, comparing the wrong cards as the 6600XT costs less than the 3060 and delivers more FPS. Not by a whole lot and if you play DLSS titles, then the 3060 might be a better buy.

As for you then moving over to the 6700XT, which doesn't have the spec you quoted, it delivers slightly more FPS than the 3060Ti when the 3060Ti sells for 52% more money. How overpriced must the 3060Ti be to you if you think the 6700XT is overpriced?

Last edited:
Back