More than 85,000 Battlefield 2042 players sign petition demanding a full refund

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: A change.org petition demanding Electronic Arts grant unsatisfied Battlefield 2042 buyers a full refund has garnered more than 85,000 signatures as of this writing. The petition, which was created about a month ago but only started gaining traction recently, states EA and DICE didn't keep many promises made ahead of launch, and put out an "unplayable" game.

According to its creator, the game has cost consumers millions of dollars in damages and upset thousands of customers. What's more, the person claims one of the nation's best class-action lawyers would take the case against EA if the petition got at least 50,000 signatures.

Gamers have every right to be upset with EA as Battlefield 2042 launched with a multitude of bugs and missing features. It quickly shot up the ranks of the Steam Hall of Shame and is currently ranked as the 12th worst game on the platform.

Fawzi Mesmar, DICE's head of design, left shortly after the game’s launch but insisted his exit was planned in advance. A major reorganization at EA and DICE followed, and shortly after rumors surfaced suggesting EA was considering making the game free to play in response to the backlash.

The hits kept coming, however, as it was revealed earlier this month that the game’s first major content drop, a season one pass, was being pushed back to the summer. In the interim, the developer will continue to work on fixing core issues and should have the next major patch ready by March.

Permalink to story.

A bunch of salty people who probably preordered, or bought it day 1 without looking at any actual news about it.

battlefield games have been getting crummier with each title, EA owes you nothing if you dont have the common sense to wait and make a decent decision.

A bunch of salty people who probably preordered, or bought it day 1 without looking at any actual news about it.
I had it on my wishlist and a friend bought it for me as a present.
battlefield games have been getting crummier with each title, EA owes you nothing if you dont have the common sense to wait and make a decent decision.
I think you're underestimating just how terrible BF2042 is. It's a bit like if the next Zelda game was just a Chinese knockoff version of Ratchet and Clank. You'd be annoyed.

That's how bad BF2042 is, it was marketed as a Battlefield game, another entry in the franchise, but what actually released was "Call of Copy: Knockoff from China". Yeah it's a "first person shooter" but that's pretty much all the resemblance it has with older Battlefield games.

I don't see why they would win this case. Buyers had plenty of time to assess if they should get the game or not, as they didn't *need* to buy it on launch. They had many weeks to figure out if it was good, so if they still bought it after that...well, they knew what they were getting into.
It's not the law's responsibility to punish a business for a fault of the customer. I wouldn't want Lowe's to be sued because I don't know how to use a drill.

I don't see why they would win this case. Buyers had plenty of time to assess if they should get the game or not, as they didn't *need* to buy it on launch. They had many weeks to figure out if it was good, so if they still bought it after that...well, they knew what they were getting into.
It's not the law's responsibility to punish a business for a fault of the customer. I wouldn't want Lowe's to be sued because I don't know how to use a drill.
I completely agree.

Playing devil's advocate here today in the comment section.

Could you argue it's marketing was false and deceptive? Everything they marketed and even in interviews they made it sound like a natural successor to BF4.

I wonder how many of those 85,000+ "pre-purchased" it?

If people haven't realized yet, stop "pre-purchasing" left and right BS.

Back then, we had Demos to try before you buy. Missed those days with Magazines and cover CDs with lots of demos. Almost every publisher had demos for their games, to see if their games are worthy or not. Nowadays, not only there are no more demos, but people are suckered into pre-purchasing nonsense.

Back then, we had Demos to try before you buy. Missed those days with Magazines and cover CDs with lots of demos. Almost every publisher had demos for their games, to see if their games are worthy or not. Nowadays, not only there are no more demos, but people are suckered into pre-purchasing nonsense.
I don't understand preordering digital games. It was one thing when you could only get physical copies, but you put $5 down to reserve a copy. You didn't pay full price to reserve a digital copies, of which there are an infinite amount.

I'm not defending EA here, but modern consumerism lead to this being a viable business model. But wait a freaking day or two. I remember preordering games and still had to wait a few days before I had the time to go pick it up at the store

I think you're underestimating just how terrible BF2042 is. It's a bit like if the next Zelda game was just a Chinese knockoff version of Ratchet and Clank. You'd be annoyed.

That's how bad BF2042 is, it was marketed as a Battlefield game, another entry in the franchise, but what actually released was "Call of Copy: Knockoff from China". Yeah it's a "first person shooter" but that's pretty much all the resemblance it has with older Battlefield games.
I know how bad it is, people wont stop beating it up.

I'm losing my mind over horizon: forbidden west, but I havent preordered it(cause thats dumb) and I'll wait for actual info about how it runs and if theres any gamebreaking glitches after a few days before I buy a copy, yes I'm amped af for it but I can also wait cause theres countless other games to play, that I either own or could buy.

thats my point, all you have to do is chill out and get some info before you buy a game, with all the news outlets and youtubers and sites fighting to be 1st with info you dont even need to wait a whole day to start piecing together if said game is gonna be alright or legit garbage.

It doesnt matter how its marketed or shown, we have countless, just mountains of proof of games being shown one way then being released as a smelly runny heap, yet no one learns, so if EA is really just laughing at this petition I understand why.

I'm losing my mind over horizon: forbidden west, but I havent preordered it(cause thats dumb) and I'll wait for actual info about how it runs and if theres any gamebreaking glitches after a few days before I buy a copy, yes I'm amped af for it but I can also wait cause theres countless other games to play, that I either own or could buy.

thats my point, all you have to do is chill out and get some info before you buy a game, with all the news outlets and youtubers and sites fighting to be 1st with info you dont even need to wait a whole day to start piecing together if said game is gonna be alright or legit garbage.

It doesnt matter how its marketed or shown, we have countless, just mountains of proof of games being shown one way then being released as a smelly runny heap, yet no one learns, so if EA is really just laughing at this petition I understand why.
Man I'm soo looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West, the first game was the only game I platinum'ed on PS4.

I agree with you completely, I'm on your side here, I'm simply playing devils advocate. You don't need to convince me. I haven't bought a Ubisoft game in god knows how many years, same with Activision except for CoD:MW and Blizzard haven't had my money since the launch of Shadowlands.

EA's a tricky one, they come out with master pieces like It Takes Two then in the same year release pure garbage like BF2042. How a company can vary so wildly in quality in confusing.

There are demos still, but it's a very rare thing to see. There was a demo for Shadow Tactics before it released (I downloaded it on GoG, but never did try it), for example. I believe there's a demo for Resident Evil Village out there. They are out there, but as I said, very rare.

I do miss those days when the PC Gamer magazine would show up in the mailbox and you could tell by the feel of the magazine there was a CD tucked in between the pages. Then you remove the magazine from the plastic wrap and pull out the CD to pop it into the computer and try out all the demos....those were awesome days. Then you'd take a trip to the local game store (maybe it was EB Games, Comp USA, Best Buy or some other local retailer that sold PC games) and you'd see rows and rows of PC games that lined the shelves. Picking up the boxes, admiring the art, the stories told on the box and just holding the game in your hands was euphoric.

These days I do get excited for a few games here and there that come out, but ever since the physical copies were halted and digital took over I've never quite had the same feeling or experience when getting a new game. There's just something about having that physical copy in your hands that's just hard to describe to kids these days that never got to experience it.

I signed it for the heck of it. I bought it twice a copy for my son and one for myself because we wanted to try it. Completely sucks, worst part I got it on Amazon so I couldn't even do the steam refund the first week it came out. Regret it but I know I lost $140. EA has lost a customer for life. I stopped buying Madden about 8 years ago, stopped buying Fifa 4 years ago. And now this. Last good game EA came out with was Titanfall 2. Last game EA will scam me off is BF2042.

I don't see the point of buying a game as soon as it is release, nor pre-ordering for a game. The reality is, give it 3 to 6 months and you will find yourself a game that is more stable, and at the same time cheaper. No reason to ding EA for it to be honest. The game is bad, but people should at least wait and see if it is worth the money to begin with, and not "take my money first". All EA needs to do is to delay the transition to free to play to dull the need to compensate/ refund, and throw some extras for early adopters.

The article did a poor job of outlining the issues with the game. It doesn't answer the question of "how bad is it?"
"...launched with a multitude of bugs and missing features. " Could be the majority of hyped games released for the past decade or more. If it's as bad as you say it is, the author should have done a better job of describing the issues.

"According to its creator, the game has cost consumers millions of dollars in damages and upset thousands of customers. " It's going to be very difficult to prove millions of dollars of damage from putting out a crap game. Making people upset isn't against the law and a company with no direct contact with their customers can't control how others feel.

I signed it for the heck of it. I bought it twice a copy for my son and one for myself because we wanted to try it. Completely sucks, worst part I got it on Amazon so I couldn't even do the steam refund the first week it came out. Regret it but I know I lost $140. EA has lost a customer for life. I stopped buying Madden about 8 years ago, stopped buying Fifa 4 years ago. And now this. Last good game EA came out with was Titanfall 2. Last game EA will scam me off is BF2042.
EA put out Titanfall 2? I totally forgot. It's one of my top ten games of all times. Great game.

Rift Breaker has a demo and I bought the game after playing it. Companies need to start putting them out again.

I'm torn here. Do *****s that buy this crap deserve to be ripped off or should companies be held responsible for charging for a half-assed product?

Let's face it, *****s that bought early will do so again and again, it will never stop. Maybe there should be a system to protect them from themselves? Pre-orders should be prohibited by now.

I'm still leaning towards EA not refunding the game. People should be more responsible with their money, this just shows they have too much of it. They are reallocating money from *****s that they shouldn't have had.

"According to its creator, the game has cost consumers millions of dollars in damages and upset thousands of customers. " It's going to be very difficult to prove millions of dollars of damage from putting out a crap game. Making people upset isn't against the law and a company with no direct contact with their customers can't control how others feel.
Oh yeah, this petition will go nowhere, what's happened isn't illegal.

The game is just soo different and has much more in common with CoD than Battlefield, I think the only angle you could try for would be misleading and false advertising since that's pretty spot on.

Calling it Battlefield I would argue is false advertising since it strays so far from the rest of the franchise. Even Hardline got some of the Battlefield basics right and had more in common with Battlefield games than 2042 does.

What's funny to me is that the majority of reviews from the big names in video reviews on Youtube were MOSTLY POSITIVE.

Frankly, I was going to buy 2042 no matter what - after ignoring all the World War 1 and World War 2 shooters, simply because I prefer Modern Combat in Battlefield 3 and 4 - as well as Call of Duty: MW.

Unfortunately, Battlefield 2042 has some serious issues that constitute a "broken product".

#1 I play, I rank up, I earn attachments... but my weapon attachments disappear and become unselectable from session to session perhaps due to some bug.

#2 The maps are OK, but there aren't enough maps.

#3 The music is terrible. It sounds mostly like "noise". Reminds me of the song "Closer" and how I was searching for it, but the lead-in sounded like bad MP3 noise so I kept ignoring the file.

#4 I don't feel I should have to choose Sundance to have a wingsuit. I should be able to equipt the Wingsuit on a male character. The virtue signaling in this game is ridiculous.

#5 Air combat and vehicle combat feels broken and extremely buggy. Sometimes my vehicles start damaged already.

All that said: I usually play 3 - 4 rounds of Battlefield2042 and then put it down to go play more CS:GO.

When I saw the first trailer already feel meh because same setting

Would have been different if it is BF2142 futuristic sequel instead

I hope people get refunds even if they had preordered it or not. There`s no excuse for a broken product. BF3/4 are my all time favorite shooters and I`m guessing most other BF players. They should have only enhanced those experiences.

I'm torn here. Do *****s that buy this crap deserve to be ripped off or should companies be held responsible for charging for a half-assed product?

Let's face it, *****s that bought early will do so again and again, it will never stop. Maybe there should be a system to protect them from themselves? Pre-orders should be prohibited by now.

I'm still leaning towards EA not refunding the game. People should be more responsible with their money, this just shows they have too much of it. They are reallocating money from *****s that they shouldn't have had.
They deserve to be ripped off, if they cant learn by now to not buy things before seeing if its worth their money then let them burn it.

I'm tired of new rules being made that protect stupid people from themselves, if it werent for this massive group of cash wasters we'd probably be getting glorious fully featured games, instead of this garbage we have now.

You really don’t deserve a refund on this game in this day and age. People need to get burned when they preorder or when they throw money at a game without knowing if it’s any good or on a promise that it will be fixed. Maybe that way people will learn to stop throwing their money at broken games that some crooked exec is promising to fix.

Back