Most lightweight Linux distro for low end IBM processor netbook

ReMiXeDg

I have a IBM think-pad with a 40GB Hard Drive, and Pentium 2 processor and 256MB RAM could anyone suggest what OS should I go with?

I want something for web programming / browsing the internet.

Most distro's should work if you use a very lightweight DE (desktop environment). Puppy would probably run best though.

Crunchbang is worth a mention too, running XFCE as its DE, its also based on Debian so should give you more flexability with packages and software.

Most distro's should work if you use a very lightweight DE
interesting point leeky. in the end it will be the 'eye candy' that eats up the lions share

of the different mint versions, i would guess lxde is the lightest DE?

The lightest on CPU and RAM is actually Linux Mint XFCE edition. Some stats on RAM usage of it:

Mint Xfce: 114 MB RAM (Mint 9 Xfce: 153 MB RAM)
Mint Xfce + Writer + Calc + Firefox: 177 MB RAM (Mint 9 Xfce + Writer + Calc + Firefox: 212 MB RAM)
Mint Xfce + Writer + Calc + Firefox + Thunderbird + VLC + Rhythmbox: 220 MB RAM (Mint 9 Xfce + Writer + Calc + Firefox + Thunderbird + Gnome MPlayer + Exaile: 256 MB RAM)

I'm starting to install Linux Mint XFCE Edition now.. Thanks for helping me out and im going with this, Mint Xfce + Writer + Calc + Firefox + Thunderbird + VLC + Rhythmbox: 220 MB RAM (Mint 9 Xfce + Writer + Calc + Firefox + Thunderbird + Gnome MPlayer + Exaile: 256 MB RAM)

that is pretty light - am just installing it as we speak :)

Aye, it runs lightning quick on my Q6600 based PC. I do have 8GB of RAM to play with though, but its responsiveness is several times quicker than Gnome which is by no means a slouch with my hardware.

Can't wait to see it running with a dedicated SSD and my 6 core AMD 1055T. :D

For my Eee 900 (yeah to slow one...) I run crunchbang linux. Excellent distro, debian based with OpenBox of XFCE as default WM. Most people tend to run OpenBox.

I'm starting to install Linux Mint XFCE Edition now
be interesting to see how it goes on an older machine

I run crunchbang
good to hear some positive about chrunchbang - seems like it may have replaced damn small linux as the choice for older machines?

Back