Most of Cadillac's vehicles will be fully-electric by 2030

Polycount

Staff
In brief: When you think of electric vehicles, you probably picture a carmaker like Tesla. Though plenty of other companies produce EVs these days, they're usually not a core focus. However, that could change over the next decade or so. According to a new report, most of the vehicles under GM's Cadillac brand will be fully-electric by 2030.

If Cadillac's EV plans go particularly well in the future, all of the company's car models might get electrified by the same deadline. However, the carmaker isn't eager to commit to that just yet, and understandably so, given how far off 2030 is.

This pledge comes from Cadillac president Steve Carlisle, who spoke to Reuters today. In addition to promising increased electrification over the next decade, Carlisle said production on the company's first all-electric SUV -- which will be "similar to the Escalade" -- will begin in 2023.

To be clear, this Escalade-like car is not the unnamed crossover EV that Cadillac first announced back in January; they appear to be separate projects. However, one thing they do have in common is the lack of any meaningful details from their manufacturer. For one reason or another, Cadillac is staying tight-lipped about its electric vehicle ambitions.

With that said, we do at least know what the crossover will look like on the outside -- you can see it in the images above. It's quite the sleek machine, though that could change by the time it ships out to real customers.

Carlisle notes that Cadillac may still sell traditional ICE models even if it manages to electrify each vehicle in its line-up by 2030, provided there's enough demand. However, such vehicles will be offered in addition to their electric counterparts, not in place of them.

Permalink to story.

It's all very well cars being made electric, sure it will be great due to the depleting oil.
But I have to ask WTF?
In the UK we have had a ban on plastic bags in supermarkets. Although they still make "Bags for life" which you forget and buy another 2. So that was a massive fail.
Amazon uses cardboard, but many other online retailers use bags. Plastic is everywhere.
My point being that switching to electric cars is still a crap idea. We have the ability to jump from A to D on these matters but still we go through the slow process of each step, as it makes money.
Well it also wastes time, which we don't have as the media announce that Greenland is disappearing 7 times faster than it was in the 90's.

So instead of the human race working individually, in the most moronic way possible, we need a transport system that is better than rail and buses. To do all our daily commutes.

Ah forget it im stoned.

LOL ..... even a stoned person can see what's on the horizon! The obvious limitation on EV's breaks down to just two: (1) High Price, (2) Limited Range. Needless to say, if they ever solve both or at least #2 you will probably see a tremendous upswing in sales and applications.

Hey look, more corporate gas expulsions! GM has stated this more then once, and has yet to deliver. Remember how they said they were going to have 3-4 more full EVs in 2020, and over 30 by 2023, after the bolt came out?

Yeah....good times. GM cant even reliably make a hybrid, and we are supposed to believe they are going to go full EV? Nice way to kill your brand there GM. Cadillacs are usually bought by retirees, the LEAST likely group to adopt EVs en masse.

Not to mention the lready constrained market for nickle, cobalt, and other litium, battery materials, and the material shortages beginning to affect electric motor production. there isnt enough supply for this, and GM certianly isnt building its own gigafactory anytime soon.

LOL ..... even a stoned person can see what's on the horizon! The obvious limitation on EV's breaks down to just two: (1) High Price, (2) Limited Range. Needless to say, if they ever solve both or at least #2 you will probably see a tremendous upswing in sales and applications.
Well its been 50 years, and both those issues are still present. #2 is what killed EVs in the early days of automobiles.

Don't forget (3) Long Charge Time, (4) No Infrastructure. Unless you are looking to spend $40k+ on a vehicle only to drive straight to work and back home, then these cars are junk. Who feels like waiting around 30+ minutes to charge it to 80%? Don't forget replacing the (5) $10,000+ toxic battery. LOL, epic fail. Mature the technology and infrastructure before you force these on customers.

Well if the science community would stop c*ck blocking hydrogen then we'd all be driving around in electric vehicles powered by hydrogen, stopping to refuel in five minutes and going on our way again; just like we always have.

And don't give me all that efficiency making hydrogen vs. electricity for batteries crap - it's inefficient now because they made it inefficient. If they put as much effort into hydrogen as they are with batteries then it would be equally as good a solution.

Batteries just aren't going to cut it, and all these magical scientific "breakthroughs" don't mean crap until they become production, and none of them really have. It's all a pipe dream.

I really believe hydrogen is the answer, they just don't want it to be because then people won't keep buying new cars to get a new battery pack.

Aside from range and charge times Cadillac needs to start building a vehicle that will last. All their stuff is disposable junk now.

The only thing that really bothers me about electric vehicles is the huge maintenance cost. With Ice there are hundreds of components that minimize the repair cost. The only way I would even consider electric. Is if replacing the batteries were no more expensive than replacing an ICE engine. And the batteries were not sold as one complete unit.

If it is going to cost $5K every time a battery fails, no thank you.

And the safety issues with high current causing fires. I would insist all high current connector have thermal sensors to prevent overheating.

The only thing that really bothers me about electric vehicles is the huge maintenance cost. With Ice there are hundreds of components that minimize the repair cost. The only way I would even consider electric. Is if replacing the batteries were no more expensive than replacing an ICE engine. And the batteries were not sold as one complete unit.

If it is going to cost $5K every time a battery fails, no thank you.

And the safety issues with high current causing fires. I would insist all high current connector have thermal sensors to prevent overheating.
At today's ranges of about 200 miles, and charge lifetimes of 1,000 that's 200,000 miles before you'll need a new battery. Do you get 200,000 miles out of your current ICE car?

BTW - there's far less parts on an EV which means less to fail.

that's 200,000 miles before you'll need a new battery.
I for one believes that is an overestimated sales pitch. I'm thinking of reality, not some scientific estimates. Vehicles have warranties for a reason. They don't always meet their goals of longevity.
Do you get 200,000 miles out of your current ICE car?
Actually yes, more than one in fact. Not a one cost more than two thousand to maintain (subtracting maintenance also needed for an EV) over fifteen to twenty years.
BTW - there's far less parts on an EV which means less to fail.
Which strengthens my comment, by explaining why it would cost more to repair an EV.

I for one believes that is an overestimated sales pitch. I'm thinking of reality, not some scientific estimates. Vehicles have warranties for a reason. They don't always meet their goals of longevity.
Actually yes, more than one in fact. Not a one cost more than two thousand to maintain (subtracting maintenance also needed for an EV) over fifteen to twenty years.
Which strengthens my comment, by explaining why it would cost more to repair an EV.
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/dri...mile-toyota-prius-shares-high-mileage-secrets

Be sure to read the comments after the article, too.

And here's another example with 600,000 miles on the original battery.

BTW - these are real world people with real world examples of high-mileage batteries - not marketing blather or some speculative belief on how long a battery will last.

Care to explain your reasoning behind it costing more to repair an EV that has fewer parts with less to fail? Do you think that the parts will be rare, and, therefore, more expensive?

Oil supplies are much more plentiful than cobalt and tungsten, both of which are needed for battery production and both of which are becoming increasingly scarce. Environmentalists have no problem whatsoever demonizing oil production, but they seem blind to the massive mining operations of cobalt, lithium, and tungsten that are needed to produce batteries for their precious electric vehicles. They're not even trading one problem for another. Gas and diesel will still be needed to charge their batteries.

Aside from range and charge times Cadillac needs to start building a vehicle that will last. All their stuff is disposable junk now.

Thank the environmentalists lobbying the EPA for that. All of the engines with displacement on demand/AFM and Auto start/stop are absolute trash. Ford, GM, and Chrysler all suffer from the same problems associated with those "fuel-saving" technologies.

GM is dead to me since moving many of their ops to China and killing plants in the States. Already crap vehicles, becoming crappier by the day.

Back