Motherboard and CPU upgrade advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have a Medion Titanium 8383 with an MS 7091 motherboard and a pentium 4 presscott HT processor whch has a clock speed of 3.4 ghz and i would like to upgrade mt system. Would you say the AMD Phenom X3 with mobo and 2 gig of RAM was worth getting?, would it fit in the case? etc
cheers
Sam

You'd need a motherboard change for the new processor. I'd highly recommend going for an Intel Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual-Core CPU and an LGA775 motherboard, since the performance increase is very substantial compared to similar offerings from AMD. The RAM is a good idea though, just make sure you buy from the top three brands i.e. Corsair, Crucial and OCZ. If you can't\won't go for them, Kingston, Patriot and G.SKILL are good choices as well.

And yes, everything should fit in the case without any problems.

thanks for the reply, I was aware that i need a new motherboard as i dont want to buy ddr1 RAM however now i think i may just build a buget system.The specs would be:
Intel Core2 quad q6600
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
2GB crucial ddr2 800mhz RAM
Expert vision Geforce 9500gt 512mb Graphics Card
480w PSU
And on the old medion Is the WLAN removable or do i need to buy a new card.
And im going to take the TV tuner and disk drives out of the MEDION.

I know its not great but it only comes to £380 with a new case and its only for playing a few games on, Nothing big. Would you say this was worth it.

Would a pentium dual core work in the original motherboard?
its a MSI ms 7091. The manual says it was designed for the presscott pentium 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back