Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiophiler

Can anyone tell me how involved it is to change out a motherboard and CPU?
I don't have much knowledge of pc building so I don't want to buy something that I won't be able to make work on my own. I have an MSI k7n420 pro board now with an AMD 1.15 ghz processor. Also, can anyone recommend a main board and processor combo to purchase and from where? I would like to be around 2.5 to 3.0 ghz processor speed.

The motherboard connects everything in the pc, so you have to disconnect everything. You'll have to remove the power wires, data wires, pci/agp cards, etc, and then unscew the motherboard and remove it. To remove the cpu, you remove the heatsink, then you lift the locking lever by the socket and remove the cpu, reverse to install.

audiophiler said:
Can anyone tell me how involved it is to change out a motherboard and CPU?

I'd say this all depends on the person. Some have the type of brain that loves this kind of stuff. As long as you get a motherboard from a major maker (Asus, MSI etc.) the manual will be detailed enough that many people (even some with NO experience) can install them.

But if you are the type of person who has a hard time working a DVD player, you probably shouldn't even try to build a PC (if you know what I mean).

How about bios and that kind of stuff, or am I just able to install everythig back in it and let it fly. It's these kind of things that concern me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back