Motorola VP says the company's folding smartphone is on the way

Polycount

Staff

Motorola has reportedly been working on a foldable phone of its own for some time now, but the company has been reluctant to officially confirm its existence.

That changed today, though, courtesy of an interview between Motorola VP of Global Product Dan Dery and Engadget. Not only did Dery confirm that Motorola is indeed working on its own foldable phone, but he hinted at when we might expect to see it launch.

Specifically, he said the company has "no intention" of releasing their device any later than competing smartphones, like the Galaxy Fold. Given that the Galaxy Fold is launching in mere months, perhaps we'll see Motorola's mystery device around the same time.

Release date speculation aside, Dery also subtly confirmed that Motorola's folding phone will not have a display on the outside of the device.

Doing so, in Dery's opinion, would result in "scratching issues" that would very quickly result in a device that is "not usable." This could mean that previously-revealed patent images for Motorola's folding device are accurate after all.

The images -- one of which can be seen above -- more closely resembled an old-fashioned flip-phone than the tablet/smartphone hybrid design other phone makers are going for with their folding devices.

Motorola hasn't unveiled its folding smartphone at Mobile World Congress yet, but there's still time for that to change; the event doesn't end until Friday.

Permalink to story.

Folding Phones is an answer to a question nobody asked.

Plastic displays (since glass doesn't fold) are gonna have unforseen long term problems.

I personally don't think these things are gonna take off for a long time - if ever.

Why would Apple even try to build one of these when it would hurt iphone and iPad sales?

The mere fact these things are projected to cost over $1000 means they are dead on arrival.

Plastic displays (since glass doesn't fold) are gonna have unforseen long term problems.

I personally don't think these things are gonna take off for a long time - if ever.

Why would Apple even try to build one of these when it would hurt iphone and iPad sales?

The mere fact these things are projected to cost over $1000 means they are dead on arrival.

When companies don't innovate and recycle techs people complain. When companies innovate, invent new stuffs never seen before, people will still whine, just saying.

When companies don't innovate and recycle techs people complain. When companies innovate, invent new stuffs never seen before, people will still whine, just saying.
Innovation is only successful when it creates products people WANT.... I can design you a brand new dodecahedron laptop - it will weigh 30 pounds... no one has ever done that before!!

And no one would ever buy it....

If a flip phone could be manufactured with a robust/durable foldable display that would be pretty cool IMO as it would keep the screen from scratching and would make the device much smaller. I'd be interested if they could achieve this.

Innovation is only successful when it creates products people WANT.... I can design you a brand new dodecahedron laptop - it will weigh 30 pounds... no one has ever done that before!!

And no one would ever buy it....

Except that unlike your "invention" the flip phones ideas are actually pretty cool and I like it a lot, give them a couple more iterations the tech will certainly be mature.

Given how fast the sheeple with too much excess cash change their phones they won't be in use long enough for the plastic to fatigue stress.

Back