Mounting problems on Linux

SirDigby

TechSpot Elite
Hey guys, I've only just installed Linux 13.10 today, and I'm brand new to the OS. I keep getting a problem with my secondary HDD.

The facts:
128GB SSD Partition
Windows on 60GB
Linux on 30GB
3GB spare for w/e.

I then have a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue dynamic HDD, partitioned into 3 main sections (but they're a bit split up due to a repartitioning issue - see photo)

The 'Stuff' partition I can access from Linux, but the 'Games' and 'Spare' partitions give me this message every time I try and mount:

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdb2: Command-line `mount "/mnt/622CFFFC2CFFC8D5"' exited with non-zero exit status 12: Failed to read last sector (590368767): Invalid argument
HINTS: Either the volume is a RAID/LDM but it wasn't setup yet,
or it was not setup correctly (e.g. by not using mdadm --build ...),
or a wrong device is tried to be mounted,
or the partition table is corrupt (partition is smaller than NTFS),
or the NTFS boot sector is corrupt (NTFS size is not valid).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdb2' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
Being a complete newbies, I have no idea what to do, can you help?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 8
Hiya. You are getting this error because you are trying to mount a partition of a Windows 'Dynamic Disk', which the 'mount' program can't handle without some considerable preliminary setup. Not sure if you can convert it back to 'Basic Disk' or not, but that would be the simplest.

If you are determined, well it'll be a good learning experience. Here's some instructions (haven't tried them, myself):

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68232

Hiya. You are getting this error because you are trying to mount a partition of a Windows 'Dynamic Disk', which the 'mount' program can't handle without some considerable preliminary setup. Not sure if you can convert it back to 'Basic Disk' or not, but that would be the simplest.

If you are determined, well it'll be a good learning experience. Here's some instructions (haven't tried them, myself):

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68232

I managed to solve the solution by deleting the games and spare volumes of the HDD and re-partitioning as you can see the 'Games' and 'Spare' partitions were split, however the 'Stuff' partition wasn't and I could access that, but thank you anyway!

Back