Mouse pointer stuck with hourglass for days.

derncricket

My Windows 11 mouse pointer has for some reason become stuck on the regular pointer with the hourglass next to it. And it flashes as though something was thinking. If I hover over a text box for example. The pointer changes to the text icon, but as soon as I move off and onto a neutral area the hour glass comes back.

I have checked for running processes and there is nothing going on in the background that I can see. Not to mention several reboots since it started happening. I tried a simple SFC scan and updates. If I select a different pointer theme, I still have the hourglass. Changing the pointer graphic doesn't seem to help. My task manager only shows a few percent used and nothing unusual. I uninstalled Avast in case it was doing it. But I can't seem to find a fix. I'm wondering if this is just a new issue in Windows 11.

It all sounds strange for sure. Do you have a hardware list handy? Is this a computer you built yourself? Is this a new build or did you recently upgrade to Windows 11? I don't recommend 3rd party AV to my customers. If they absolutely need something then I install Malwarebytes. Maybe you need to run Malwarebytes as a 2nd opinion that you don't have something running around in there.

I know this is a bit late of a response, but I was able to fix this same issue. I did not use Malwarebytes however, for some reason they couldn't find or fix the issue. Instead, I used Microsoft Safety Scanner. It's a free PC app in the Microsoft store so you don't have to download it off some sketchy website. After I ran both Microsoft Defender AND Malwarebytes and they both didn't work, I ran MSS and it found 1 infected file. It automatically removes any infected files and when the scan finished, my hourglass next to my pointer disappeared and my laptop fan finally got quiet. Life saver! I don't know if you're still having this issue, or if anyone else is having this issue please give it a try!

Microsoft Safety Scanner - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/intelligence/safety-scanner-download?view=o365-worldwide

Back