Movies on hard drive lose quality over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dardra

Hello, i had dozens of movies in my second HD for almost a year now and im not sure if its just me and im paranoid or what but it seems that they lost a bit of their quality and are slightly more pixelated and blurry ever so sightly. I've defragged the HD several times over the time of using it with all my data and movies and does defragging it deteriorate the quality over time?

hi dardra

movies stored on an HD will not deteriorate over time, through storage or moving. Because they are stored digitally, you can move and copy them without losing any quality.

If they are looking more pixelated or blurry, you should check your media player settings.

Perhaps you are using a different decoder now than you were in the past... Try something like SMPlayer or VLC.

Hello, i had dozens of movies in my second HD for almost a year now and im not sure if its just me and im paranoid or what but it seems that they lost a bit of their quality and are slightly more pixelated and blurry ever so sightly. I've defragged the HD several times over the time of using it with all my data and movies and does defragging it deteriorate the quality over time?

Compressed files can lose quality after being edited. This is a problem usually with photo files saved as jpeg. After the editing process, what you have is essentially a different file, and closing it results in it being re-compressed, with quality loss becoming evident over time. This because you can't simply can't "close" an edited file, it must be "saved" to retain your changes. The same thing can be observed when mpeg movies are edited.

However, merely opening the file for viewing shouldn't cause a loss. With that being said, you must be absolutely certain that "compress this drive to save disc space", is turned OFF....!

Are times that tough that you can't simply burn this nonsense to DVD and be done with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back