Mozilla extends partnership to keep Google as the default search provider in Firefox

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Mozilla has extended a partnership with Google that’ll ensure it remains the default search engine in Firefox in select parts of the world including the US. The deal, arguably more important to Mozilla than Google, will supply guaranteed revenue to help keep the Firefox maker above water for at least another few years.

Hours after Mozilla Corporation announced plans to lay off roughly 250 employees earlier this week, a source told The Register that the browser maker had signed a three-year deal with the Mountain View-based company. A spokesperson for Mozilla confirmed to the publication that it had recently extended the partnership but didn’t provide any specifics regarding length or value.

Another source told The Register that Mozilla will likely collect between $400 million to $450 million each year between now and 2023 as a result of the deal, figures that are reportedly based on internal discussions held earlier this year.

Mozilla Corporation CEO Mitchell Baker in announcing the job cuts earlier this week said the corporation already had a lot of changes planned for 2020 but noted that the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic forced a rethink and directly led to the reduction in workforce.

Baker spun the layoffs in a positive light, adding that a slimmer Mozilla would be able to move more quickly and better collaborate with allies outside of the organization.

Image credit: RostyslavAndreychuk, Michael Vi

Permalink to story.

Well, honestly all other search engines return useless results a lot more often than Google does. As much as I hate Google, it's still the best search option.

I guess I'm easy to please with my searches, since I use Bing. Although Microsoft spamming an Install Edge banner during Bing searches is getting under my skin. I have been contemplating changing. MS has twice been notified of my frustrations. But I don't thing they care, if they lose their only loyal user.

As long as I can select to use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine, I will continue to use FF.

Even though I think Google is great, still they use my data, so I prefer DDG!

"Mozilla Corporation CEO Mitchell Baker in announcing the job cuts earlier this week said the corporation already had a lot of changes planned for 2020 but noted that the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic forced a rethink and directly led to the reduction in workforce.

Baker spun the layoffs in a positive light, adding that a slimmer Mozilla would be able to move more quickly and better collaborate with allies outside of the organization."

The "ongoing" Covid-19 pandemic is being kept alive by people who want to control the world through fear. The pandemic is over for me.

It's funny how the browser that touts privacy as a priority is extending contracts with Google. What a contradiction. However, I think it's fine if it's what Firefox has to do to stay alive. As long as I can select my own search engine (DuckDuckGo mostly) than it's a good thing.

I'm sure most people using Firefox don't care about the default search engine anyway. So, it's like free money for Mozilla.

I find the statement a bit odd how the company will be able to move more quickly and better collaborate with allies outside the organization just because the workforce is smaller. What? Yeah, uh whatever.

Well, honestly all other search engines return useless results a lot more often than Google does. As much as I hate Google, it's still the best search option.

Google search engine provide biased result as it must fit its agenda. The fact that other search engines gives you "useless" results is because your wording used in search, as other search engine are less or even completely unbiased.

Back