MS Office 2007 Home & Student, How Many Times Can You Activate It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almcneil

TechSpotters,

I bought a opy of MS Office 2007 Home & Student last X-Mas. It states that you are allowed to install it on up to 3 computers for non-commercial use. It doesn't state how many times you can activate it (no surprise) I've searched the Internet and cann't find the answer (at least not yet) I know with Office 2003, it activates up to 6 times then MS cuts you off. When it comes to Windows, you can activate it endless times but after 3 times, you get transfered to an agent and they ask you why you're activating it so many times. Basically MS is like Big Brother, he's watching you!

Anyhow, for MS Office 2007 H&S, how many times can you activate it?

-- Andy

I'm not sure what you're asking here Andy. The license covers three computers. Download, install and activate on the 3 computers.

How are you wanting to do multiple activations? More than 3 would appear to be disallowed. Sounds like you're trying to skirt around the "3" limit. I don't know why you would be doing multiple 'activations' on the same 3 machines.

You have purchased the licensing rights to download, install and use this programs on 3 computers.

Terminology

I'm not sure what you're asking here Andy. The license covers three computers. Download, install and activate on the 3 computers.

How are you wanting to do multiple activations? More than 3 would appear to be disallowed. Sounds like you're trying to skirt around the "3" limit. I don't know why you would be doing multiple 'activations' on the same 3 machines.

You have purchased the licensing rights to download, install and use this programs on 3 computers.

Bobbye, you're getting confused over terminology. When a program is installed, it means it is literally residing on that computer. Activation is a step in the installation process that enables the program to be used on that computer. You only need to activate once (assuming the activation went through.) The activation process for MS is performed over the Internet at a special server for MS. It keep track of how many times this product key has been used to activate the MS product installation (in this case Office)

Here's what I'm getting at. Although the license for Office 2007 Home & Student Edition says it can be installed on 3 computers, the user may be in need of re-installations. For example, the user has 2 home computers and a laptop. He/she then buys a new computer to replace the oldest one. Therefore re-installs Office 2007. This necessarily requires another activation. This is one reason MS allows more activations than permitted number of installations. Another common example is the user re-installs Windows due to corruption from spyware. Again, an additonal activation is requried. And there are other scenarios in which you may be required to re-install Office and re-activate. MS gives you a certain number of extra activations to account for this. But there is a limit as MS doesn't want pirating. I recall Office 2003 was limited ot 6 activations. With Office Home & Student Edition you get 3 simultaneous installations but how many activations do they now allow? 18? 12? 6? There must be some limit.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back