Msconfig and windows update errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I run msconfig, nothing happens. The task manager says it's running, but it's not there. Also, microsoft update hangs. I've run virus scans several times, and AVG pro says I don't have any infections. Any ideas?

Thanks

You are probably infected, there is an infection going around right now that disables task manager, control panel, regedit, or msconfig. Or any combo of them. It makes a change to a few registry values. Run these 2 scans and attach the logs, it should be pretty obvious where the change is for whoever checks them

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.

Combofix
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.
Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Combofix is a very powerful tool so please do NOT do anything without instruction

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

I bring you this from another forum, posted by an experienced user. You may want to follow the malware cleaning set up here, but you need to do a couple of things first:

A. In the past few weeks I've seen an increase in the number of computers for whom the control panel is not available. In addition, you can't execute "regedit", "control userpasswords2", or right-click My Computer > Properties. All attempts result in an error stating the action requires admin rights and it's been disallowed for you.

This is a result of the Zlob family of viruses. It's a particularly nasty family of viruses that takes quite a few steps to resolve.

First step is to gain control of your registry so it can be modified. Since you can't run "regedit" to modify it manually, you'll have to get some software.

Before doing the steps in the cleaning as outline, disable System Restore. This will delete the SR files, which can't be cleaned by these utilities but if they're infected, you'll keep getting problems.

When finished the cleaning, update your antivirus definitions, and run a full system scan.
Download, install, update, run Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster.
That should get you cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back