MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro Review: Slim and light yet gaming-grade

Scorpus

Staff member

MSI is the master of product naming. Their gaming laptops follow a well-established nomenclature where a random collection of numbers and letters is not at all confusing and certainly easy to remember. Hence why "GS63VR 6RF" is a great name for a powerful 15-inch notebook.

All kidding aside, the GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro is the latest in MSI’s thin and light 15-inch gaming laptop series. Like essentially all gaming laptops on the market today, the GS63VR uses current-generation GeForce 10 graphics and Intel Core i7 processors, along with modern technology like Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe storage. The hardware in this laptop is, first and foremost, geared towards performance.

The size and weight advantage of the GS63VR Stealth Pro has a big impact on daily usage. While other 15-inch laptops are largely desk-bound, such as the Alienware 15 I recently reviewed, the GS63VR can be comfortably taken around and used in multiple locations. And the great thing is that you gain this portability without sacrificing performance.

Read the complete review.

I quite like the power button and status light indicator location, I use my XPS15 and Precision laptops with a monitor quite often and I have to open the lid to power them up, I feel this is the use case they may have had in mind when putting the button on the side. They probably expect it will often be plugged into a big monitor or headset with its lid closed.

Excellent review. I hope a review for the new Razer Blade is in the pipeline as well, since it'd be very interesting to see how the two GTX 1060-based systems go head-to-head.

Excellent review. I hope a review for the new Razer Blade is in the pipeline as well, since it'd be very interesting to see how the two GTX 1060-based systems go head-to-head.

We're looking at acquiring one for review but it won't be until mid-January at the earliest

Great review. Temps look pretty standard, for such a small laptop that is awesome!!

Only a couple of questions, no change to upgrade the video card on this model? I wouldn't purchase a 1060 on a notebook, if I'm going for something that I expect to last would go for a more beefier one.

My three recommendations to MSI design-wise: ...; ditch the mediocre touchpad, and relocate the speakers from the bottom of the laptop to the top.
I've seen no gamer using a touchpad and not wearing heapdhones =P

I am not sure how well the current cooling system would handle the additional 40w TDP or so that the 1070 could generate, considering the cooling solution is described as being "merely average."

Only a couple of questions, no change to upgrade the video card on this model? I wouldn't purchase a 1060 on a notebook, if I'm going for something that I expect to last would go for a more beefier one.

The video card cannot be upgraded and the cooling solution really isn't powerful enough for a GTX 1070

Wonder why they had the HDMI connector upside down. This looks great but no one pays those type of prices again for anything. The most I had paid was $699 that was back int 2010

Do they just make machines come up with random names? How on earth does this laptop qualify as "Stealth"? Really, a nearly 5 pound heavy laptop, 15", with loud hardware and RGB lights in the keyboard is still? Must be irony. Next thing they'll re-release "Stealth" cathode ray-tube (CRT) monitors lmao. With the motto: "Stealth! Because it's so big you can hide behind it! Buy now!"

Back