MSI intros wireless HTPC keyboard combo with accelerometer-driven mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

MSI has introduced an interesting home theater-oriented remote, dubbed the Air Keyboard. The device is designed to be held in both hands, and the compact QWERTY keyboard is controlled with a user's thumbs. The MSI Air Keyboard is wireless, and it has an internal accelerometer that lets you direct a computer's cursor. While you navigate with in-air motions, left and right-clicks can be made with two shoulder buttons. It's almost like an Xbox controller meets the Wiimote.

The device carries a total of 80 keys, including numerous media-specific buttons, has a range of about 50 meters (164 feet), connects to virtually any Windows system with a USB dongle, and is powered by two AA batteries. It measures 14.2 x 8.8 x 3.3 inches, and weighs around 200 grams (less than half a pound). The MSI Air Keyboard is available in Germany for €79 (about $108), and it's expected to reach other markets in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

Might finally get that damn keyboard off my coffee table. I just wish the Xbox 360 controllers chat pad would do it, Microsoft would sell tons off that alone.

It's the size of an iPhone. If moving that small around is awkward, then the longer Wii remote must be down right excruciating.

Try moving a mouse cursor accurately with just the accelerometer in a wii remote. You'll find that up, down, left and right work very well. You'll also find that going a direction other than just up, down, left and right is quite difficult to do accurately. It's pretty much like trying to go diagonal on a etch a sketch, you can do it but it's awkward.

It's the size of an iPhone. If moving that small around is awkward, then the longer Wii remote must be down right excruciating.

I haven't held the device in-hand, but based on your comments, I assume you have? The linked source says the MSI Air is 14.2 x 8.8 x 3.3 inches -- much larger than the iPhone 3GS sitting on my desk (about 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.48 inches).

I'm not calling you out, just trying to confirm the Air's dimensions. Based on this picture, it certainly seems larger than an iPhone. Frankly, I don't see how all of the keys and two AA batteries would even fit on an iPhone-sized device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back