MSI unveils the AMD-based Wind U210

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In addition to introducing an AMD flavor of their X-Slim X600, MSI has unveiled an AMD-based version of their Wind U200 - cleverly named the Wind U210. The Wind U210-002 sports an AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 1.6GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 160GB HDD, Microsoft Windows XP Home and kicks off with an MSRP of 399 euros - or about $570.

A separate sub-model, the U210-010, spices things up with 2GB of RAM, a 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Home Premium, and will start at 499 euros (around $642).

Both have a 12.1" display, an ATI Mobility Radeon X1250, a webcam, 802.11b/g, 10/100 Ethernet and Bluetooth connectivity, and each weighs about 1.5Kg (3.3lbs). Unfortunately, the translated press release failed to mention a release date - but the systems will ship with a 1-year warranty.

Permalink to story.

That price is way too high for what you are getting. Especially when you can get a Core 2 Duo machine that has infinitely better specs for about $600.

mattfrompa said:
That price is way too high for what you are getting. Especially when you can get a Core 2 Duo machine that has infinitely better specs for about $600.
Can you share a link with a Core 2 Duo ultra portable for $600?

If you want ultra-portable get the Archos 9pctablet. A netbook to me should never exceed the $350-400 price range, otherwsie your simply buying a smaller spec limited notebook. Netbook should mean small effective and most of all CHEAP!

The Wind U210 is designed for a different nice. Its screen size is far bigger than the ARCHOS 9.

They are just two different machines, you cant compare them directly.

The U210 has a higher specification as well, with a bigger screen, more HDD space, better graphics.

But you are right, if some ones ultimate goal is ultra-portability then they should look at devices like the ARCHOS 9, or the OQO II.

Can you share a link with a Core 2 Duo ultra portable for $600?

No, but I should explain that I think consumers should stop valuing "
ultraportablilty" as much as they do, and realize how much better of a machine that can be purchased for similar pricing. I see too many people buying ultraportables and being disappointed later, largely due to salesmen claiming they "work well as long as you aren't gaming". This may be true for some, but to me the usability of an actually laptop is crucial for what I consider to be an enjoyable experience. I realize many are able to enjoy the benefits, I am simply tired of widespread unrealistic expectations. I actually hate using my 14'' laptop without an extended screen...

The U210 is going for around $420-499. It's not going for more than that. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your prices but check out Amazon or the MSI website. And with that price with its features, the notebook is pretty worth it. And in less than a week all the U210 will come standard with Windows 7. From what I've been reading this notebook/ netbook is totally worth it if you ask me.

The U210 is going for around $420-499. It's not going for more than that. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your prices but check out Amazon or the MSI website. And with that price with its features, the notebook is pretty worth it. And in less than a week all the U210 will come standard with Windows 7. From what I've been reading this notebook/ netbook is totally worth it if you ask me.

We got the price from what was posted in August. Obviosuly that has now changed. The prices you list price make it a better deal, although I still stand by my opinion on "ultraportable" machines.

Best netbook by far... also plays some games like NFSMW, and FEAR in low quality but decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back