MSN Explorer search

Hi

I would suspect that many like me come here with their first posting as they have a problem...........well I am no different.

I am using XP and am sure all current progs are updated and there appears to be no viruses that I am aware of.

When I log in to MSN, my home page comes up and if I type a search criteria (uk weather for example) into the address bar nothing happens until the Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage message appears. I can search with Bing (no problem) and if I click a favourite, it appears and again there is no problem,

When I click More choices and add new window, it will appear but it will not search unless I type in a complete URL and then it will go to it.

If I open Internet Explorer the web browser by default is Yahoo and again all seems to be well.

My question is should there be a default MSN search engine. When I click Manage add-ons (there isn't one there). Is the search engine in MSN Explorer by default the same as in IE. This has been working fine up to now. I dont like Bing searches much and more often than not will use Google. There is a Windows Live entry in the add-ons

If there should be a default MSN search in MSN how do I try to get it back and where can I look to see what actualy should be searching but isn't !!!!!

Hope this makes some sense

Regards Guerins

Hi

Sorry..........I appear to have posted this in the wrong forum.........can a moderator repost this to Windows OS forum or should I repost it there ?

Regards Guerins

I believe that MSN search has been discontinued and replaced by Bing. Bing is now the default search engine of MSN Explorer.

Mailpup

Thanks for your reply. Bing works ok in its own search box and IE works even when I interchange between Bing / Yahoo / Google etc in as much as I get search suggestions which I can click on and then go to the site of my choice, but in MSN Explorer, I get nothing unless I type a correct URL and then it works, but if I type anything in the address bar such as MSN nothing will happen till the "IE cannot display the web page" message comes up.

Is the search in Internet Explorer that you set as default, the same as the default search in the address bar in MSN Explorer. I have gone into Internet Options / Security and clicked "Search from address bar" but I don't know if that is for IE only. That is why I wanted to know if they were the same thing. If Bing is now the default search for MSN why does it not work in my address bar.

It seems odd that it will search if you type a complete URL but a simple word produces nothing............it is very frustrating. If I want to open a new page, I have to make thay new page Google and then search from there.

If there are any thoughts on this please let me know

Regards Guerins

Years ago I had MSN Explorer because I subscribed to MSN internet access (it was dialup). If I recall correctly, MSN only ran on the Internet Explorer's engine so changing personal settings on one did not affect the other. However, you may correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Some MSN Explorer files might be corrupted so the search function from the address bar no longer works. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling MSN Explorer to restore full functionality.

Mailpup Thanks for the reply

I dont really want to disturb anything and perhaps makes it worse. The simplest way of putting is that the address bar in MSN Explorer (Not IE) will not auto suggest sites even though the IE setting allows for this.

Any suggestions as to finding controls for MSN Explorer would be appreciated

Regards Guerins

I no longer have MSN Explorer so I don't have a reference to check but I think auto complete in the address bar is enabled by default. If yours isn't, one thing you can try is uninstalling MSN Explorer and reinstall it.

Back