Msvcr80.dll missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

For some reason when going to play Call of Duty 2, i all the sudden get a message that MSVCR80.dll is missing and it tell me to install it. I go to the I-net and download that .dll and tried installing it in various places mentioned here and there and still I get the same message and COD2 will not play.
I have the dll file but where and how shall I install so this message does not come up?
i unistalled the program and anything else I can find and nothing same message.
Should I do an OS repair?

Before trying the Windows repair, I'd try a Windows System File Check scan. What this does is ensure that the latest DLLs are installed in the Windows registry. Sometimes when you install programs or updates, they include another copy of a DLL. But it may be a previous version which is incompatible. System File Checks searches and ensures the latest copies are registered.

Do the following:

Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow

It will take about 15 to 30 mins to complete (depends on the speed of your system)

Repost if you still have problems.

Best,
-- Andy

Thanks so much for your reply
I did the scannow yesterday before this post and after this post and I still have the same problem.
I do not have windows defender installed nor was it ever. Its been said this is a cause

I read somewhere on the Net that someone booted in safe mode and then deleted all the MSVCR80 they found except in System32 and it worked. but i am a bit afraid to go that far.
would it do any good to delete all the MSVCR80 files in safe mode and then do a scannow
proceedure? I really cannot find any solutions to this problem anywhere

If the error message is that MSVCR80.dll is missing, then you need to INSTALL it in the Windows/system32 directory and then run sfc /scannow.

Here's how I would do it.

1) Download a copy of msvcr80.dll and save it in c:\windows.

2) Boot using the Windows installation CD and select Recovery console

3) At the DOS prompt, copy the new msvcr80.dll into c:\windows \system32

4) Then run "sfc /scannow" at the DOS prompt

5) Restart to Normal Mode and see if the error disappears

Best,
-- Andy

Install problem reported for COD:
http://www.codboards.com/showthread.php?t=11179

What the users found:
It seems this is an error associated with Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0. Microsoft indicates this file should be located in the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder (and it is) and that you shouldn't move it around. So it seems the file is in the correct location according to Microsoft, yet the COD installer seems to be looking elsewhere.

1. First help: try redownloading Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0.
2. Second try: Disabling Windows Defender (did not fix the problem".
3. Final resolution: Uninstalling Windows Defender does fix the problem.

Please let us know if any of these work for you.

To remove .NET Frameowrk 2.0, there is a special removal tool you use. I tried to attach it to this post but it won't let me, probably because it's an EXE file. If you do a search for it, you should find it. I'd then remove all versions of .NET (1.0, 1.1., 2.0, 3.0) and then re-install them from the Windows Updates web site.

Best,
-- Andy

Thanks for your reply,
1. i had .Net Framework 2.0 in my system already. i deleted it and tried, but same result. then i reinstalled it and same result.

2. i do not have windows defender installed nor was it ever installed

3. See #2

4. What is thespecial tool/ to delete .net? I uninstalled it with out it as stated in #1
i tried many other things found on the net to no avail

I read i need to get the msvcr80 from Activision but how does one do that.
Still stuck in the mud but thanks again for atemting to pull me out

4. What is thespecial tool/ to delete .net? I uninstalled it with out it as stated in #1
i tried many other things found on the net to no avail

The special .NET removal tool is from Microsoft. You can download it from here

I would remove ALL versions of .NET and then use Windows Update to download and install fresh copies of .NET.

Repost if you still have problems.

Update

My apologies, that link was for the Microsoft removal tool for .NET 3.0. The acutal tool I found, a long time ago, was a utility an independent put out. It removes all versions of .NET. You can find it here.
Best,
-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back