Multiple BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mentalkayse

I can't even get the computer to start most of the time, I managed to get in long enough to get these dumps. Please help.

Attachments

• Mini070910-03.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini070910-04.dmp
  • Mini070910-05.dmp
  • Mini070910-06.dmp
  • Mini071010-01.dmp
Nothing definitive was cited. However, with your symptoms and the various error codes you have there is a very strong possibility your issue is corrupted memory. Therefore, we suggest you run Memtest on your memory. It is safe, free, and engages right after boot-up.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

*** Also, we note you are still running XP with Service Pack 2. As of today, July 10, 2010, XP with SP2 will no longer be supported. You need to update to SP3 -- if you can -- today.

Sorry, I suppose I should have mentioned that I ran memtest overnight with no problems and even replaced the ram with a brand new stick from newegg just because the errors seem to suggest ram anyway and I know that a bad stick can still pass memtest. I'll check the voltage in a few, when I can get back to the computer again.
It's definitely not the ram which really has me stumped. I was hoping I could learn more from the dumps.

Oh and updating to sp3 is out of the question at the moment. I can get the computer to run but not load windows. I'm currently using a laptop to post here.

Keep in mind, as good as Memtest is, bad RAM has been known to occasionally pass. We'll be interested in the memory voltage findings.

The dumps unfortunately only cited Windows OS drivers and they are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help.

Voltage appears to be fine, 2.5 for the ram and the rail is reading 2.51xx volts. One thing I forgot to mention also, the system hung on chkdsk at 97% during the verifying file data stage (4 of 5). I have it running again right now but it's gonna take a while on a 500gb hard drive.
If the dumps are citing windows os drivers, could it be a rootkit attaching itself to them? Sorry if that doesn't sound right, just something I heard. Also, would a reformat possibly help? I've got an IDE to USB cable and can save most or all of my data.
Well, while typing this, I looked up and the desktop BSODed in the middle of chkdsk (about 80% verifying file data stage) with driver irql not less or equal. 0x000000D1 (0x0000a084, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf780759c)
TDI.SYS
not sure what TDI is or exactly what that stop means, time for google.

Ok, I have to go for a while so I'm going to run Windows Memory Diagnostic and see if that finds anything that memtest missed. Doubtful though, I have a brand new stick of ram in this box.
I just got 2 more BSOD while in recovery console, the first was page fault in non paged area and the second was irql not less than or equal to or whatever.
This is my MILs computer, I just built it for her about 2 years ago and replaced the hard drive last year. She's after me to get it fixed but I'm totally perplexed on this one. Might be looking at a new mobo and cpu to go with the ram she just bought?

Windows Mem Diag ran fine. Tried Quicktech Pro but it froze. Screen looked freaky ,lots of multicolored boxes everywhere, weird.

Unless someone has any ideas, I'm gonna do a complete reformat tomorrow. I have to go back to work monday so that's my last chance.

That sounds like artifacting which means either a) the video card is overheating; check the fan and system air flow or b) the card is dying.

admin please close

format and reinstall failed, bsod. nice guess on the video card. i tried memtest again, first stick failed 430 times in 5 mins, couldn't run second stick as vga failed when i tried to reboot. video is onboard so that means mobo replacement.
thanks

Not necessarily. As good as memtest is there are those occasions when bad memory has been known to pass.

eh? on-board video is dead, would installing video card revive, iyo? i know you can't make any guarantee but i know jack about motherboards and video cards, my expertise is more with hard drives and software

Yes, a dedicated video card is what many people do when onboard dies. How old is your system?

It's less than 2 years old, I'm trying to talk the manufacturer into replacing it but it looks doubtful, they stopped making those right after I bought it. I'm gonna try to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap video card, there's a few pc shops and pawn shops around here that has some parts so maybe I can get lucky. I don't see paying $30-40 for one from newegg when I can get a mobo for just little more.

From what your wrote you just need something that will allow you to surf the net, emailing, and Office work.

right, my wife used to photoshop but not so much anymore. I have an old system, something like 800 mhz, 64mb ram that I had installed ME on and used to order a new hard drive for this one a while back but it's in storage and I don't feel like digging it out so it's last resort. I think my dad is gonna send a video card, so I can make sure that's gonna fix it before I invest money in one and then have to replace something else

Got a new video card, installed it and nothing. Noticed the mobo speaker was unplugged, plugged it in and got a beep code. 3 shorts which means memory is bad. Checked memory, neither stick is working but they both were just a few days ago. Me thinks the board is shot.

Got a new video card, installed it and nothing. Noticed the mobo speaker was unplugged, plugged it in and got a beep code. 3 shorts which means memory is bad. Checked memory, neither stick is working but they both were just a few days ago. Me thinks the board is shot.

I think you may be right. System boards can go after a time. I would check your psu because if that is faulty it can cause many issues and even permanent damage to motherboard and other components.

Since this is my mother in laws computer, I asked her and she said she's been wanting a new custom case for a while, so she's gonna newegg a purple case w/psu and a new motherboard. She'll also have to buy some more ram since newegg doesn't carry any boards that use 184 pin ddr. So if you know anyone that wants to buy 2 gigs of it, let me know lol
Thanks

It would be a whole lot better to buy the case and power supply separate. With very few exceptions we have found that the psu that comes with cases to be garbage across the board.

Newegg is always having a sale on both. Check out Coolermaster for cases and especially Corsair power supplies.

Here is what she got;
AZZA Solano 1000R Black / Red Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Rosewill RV350 350W ATX 1.3 Power Supply
2X Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
BIOSTAR Viotech 3100+ VIA C7-D 1.6GHz VIA NanoBGA2 VIA CN896 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo

It should be good enough to play yahtzee

Not yet, we just placed the order today. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. I'm gonna try to talk her out of her old case, I custom made it for her a few years ago. Red with a black front, I cut the side out and put a plexiglass window in it and a red wire-type light inside. It's pretty bad ***.

Not yet, we just placed the order today. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. I'm gonna try to talk her out of her old case, I custom made it for her a few years ago. Red with a black front, I cut the side out and put a plexiglass window in it and a red wire-type light inside. It's pretty bad ***.

LOL! Love the honesty. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back