Multiple .net frameworks in add/remove list

Status
Not open for further replies.

arieas

Currently trying to fix some software, looking at the add/remove list I see three .Net frameworks.
Microsoft NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft NET Framework 3.0

Are all three versions needed? I might have thought they may cause conflicts. As I'm also going to install 3.5.

As I understand it, at least from 2 to 3, the install of 3 only added bits not already in 2. Unless there was nothing there already....3.5 is part of Vista OS (irrelevant).

Essentially, if your have the earlier version, the later ones only append to them, so there should be no conflicts, but uninstalling an earlier one might cause trouble.

Installing 3.5 can be done in the same way, as an add-on to the others, or you could opt to remove everything already there whereupon you get a bigger install, and one definitely not supposed to contain conflicts !

I suspect it could be disasterous to download a 3.5 'update' (which might assume it is only going to add bits and pieces), then uninstall earlier versions....for safety uninstall all versions first, then download 3.5 complete.

The Net Framework is getting to be a 'deja vous' question! Like Adobe and Java, Net Framework doesn't overwrite and systems carry around all the outdated versions! I'd keep the latest, remove others.

Like IE7, MS forced this stuff on users when none of it is required by the system.

Some tools you download might have a requirement for dotNet -- which tells me NOT
to use them :)

MS forced this stuff on users when none of it is required by the system.

A prime reason to stop getting Windows Updates automatically! Instead, choose either 'download but don't install' or 'don't download or install, notify me'. Then, using the Custom feature instead of Express, check each update, determine of you need it, want ti or if it's even appropriate for what you have on your system, then act accordingly.

Agree :) Personally I use only manual updating (ie I chose WHEN) and then click
CUSTOM (and I chose WHAT) gets loaded :D

The other posters are right - if you dont need dotnet you are better off without it, but will not be rid forever unless you stop automatic updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back