My computer keeps shutting down and beeping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie53

The past couple of days, my desktop computer (HP Pavilion m7350) will load up, then the monitor blacks out and the tower beeps a continuous beep, until I shut it down. A couple of times, when I restarted (after unplugging, hitting power button, then let it sit for about an hour or so) I get a message that there is new hardware ( I have NOT added anything) and tries to update, or whatever, a mulitmedia video controller. If I go through the steps, it cannot fix it, then will shut down, and beep...One time I was able to check the device manager and there is a yellow exclamation mark in front of that device...tried to do a troubleshoot, and the computer shut down and beeped..
About 4-6 weeks ago, I replaced the cable to my monitor, because the monitor was shutting down then..it seemed to work fine until yesterday!!
Please help me...this laptop that I am using sucks!!! (although it is better than my pc at this moment!!)
Thanks in advance!!

That beeping could very well be a BIOS code. The codes have a pattern to the beeping to indicate where the problem lies. If this is still under warrenty contact HP as soon as possible and if you can discern the beeping pattern make sure you tell them what it is.

It is not under warranty, unfortunately...I checked the link to beep codes, and the continuous beeping indicates power supply, keyboard or system board...Not to sound too stupid, but what is the system board (is it the motherboard?) Also, I have some sort of hard drive checker, which checks it at every start....it is still coming up 'OK." Not sure if that is any help at all....
Thanks!

Tell us the make and model of your psu because without knowing more this seems to be the issue.

my psu

The make and model of my psu is:
Bestec model ATX-300-12Z Rev. CDR
Input 100-127V-7A, 20-240V-4A 50/60Hz
BST ATX-300-12Z CDR

That is the info on the side of the psu..some of it seems repetitive...
Thank you.

Did some research and one thing I've come across with some significance is that Bestec is poorly manufactured and in some cases is known to take out other hardware. Let's just hope it is the psu and nothing else. Do you have someone who can test your system with a multimeter?

This link is from johnnyGuru.com and the site is quite well known for it's hardware reviews of power supplies. Now this PSU is 250 watts rather than the 300 watt model you have but please take note of the findings: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=154

The problem that have found with older HP, Dell, and other pre-built systems is their cases can be propriatory and thus narrow down the owner from buying an upgrade that isn't defined by them.

*** There are a whole lot better psu options for your system at great prices if they will fit.

No friends...lol

Route44...
Unfortunately, I do not have any friends who know anything about computers!!! After your last post, I also checked online and found the same poor reviews....there was one place that suggested to 'reset' the power selection, which I did...at that time, I also made sure that all connections were tight (I had done that before, but I did it again)...the computer loaded up fine, and I actually was reading a few emails...did a short online survey (I do a lot of them..) and as soon as it was finished, the computer shut down...aaarrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!
As far as these units known for frying motherboards...this might be the reason why, in summer of 2008, I was having similar problems, and contacted HP...they replaced the hard drive and the DVD+RW...hmmmmm
I would be willing to buy a new one...doesn't sound too hard to replace...but if it isn't that, then I am sure I wouldn't be able to return it....besides the fact that, other than online, I don't know where to buy it! I live in a very small city in upstate NY...an hour away from Syracuse or Rochester...any ideas?

Yep! Newegg.com: fantastic selection and the very best when it comes to customer service. You'll easily find what you are looking for and the quality will be tons better than what you are experiencing. Many of us here at TechSpot including myself have bought many, many parts for builds and repairs.

Here is a link to your current power supply: http://www.power-on.com/atx12vhp300bt.html

The largest connecter on the left is the 24 pin and this is what powers your motherboard. This means you want a power supply with a 24 pin connector. The SATA power cable is for SATA harddrives. If your harddrive is the older IDE then you'll use the peripheral. These also called Molex connectors.

Here is an excellent psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151072 Seasonic is one of the best companies making psu's.

* By the way, I have an uncle who lives in Dryden near Ithaca.

little nervous

Route44,
Is the link at Newegg that you provided showing me a psu that would fit my computer? I am a bit nervous buying a part like this..I have never put together a computer, although I believe that I can do it....Are you pretty confident that this is my problem? Do you have any idea what the "restocking fee" is, in case I would have to return the psu? In case it doesn't fix it...
There is one person who I know that I am going to ask about this...he has a friend who put a computer together for him...I am not sure if his friend is still in the area, though...
Thank you...you have been a big help, and it is nice to have someone answer my questions...

Without the ability to see the system with my own eyes and to do some hands-on diagnostic work the best that I can tell based on your issues, the beep code information you supplied, and the lack of quality with you psu, at this point your psu is your #1 culprit.

As for the size of the psu I linked you to the dimensions are 5.9" x 5.51" x 3.39"

The dimensions of your Bestec is 5.9" x 5.5" x 3.4"

* If your friend/associate can install and connect your psu perhaps he has a multimeter whereby he can test your psu before buying another one.

Route44...I am almost afraid to tell you this...but, today, when I tried to start my pc, it started loading, so I hit f10, thinking that I would try a recovery...but I chickened out and just did a basic test..which was fine...then, when the computer fully loaded, I ran PC doctor...all tests that I did were fine...I was checking other stuff, and all was fine...then, after about 85 minutes, I connected to the internet...and, so far, so good...I have been online for about 30-35 minutes, and the computer has been working fine for about 2 hours....I am almost afraid to breath on it...because all the tests were fine, it seems to me that it could still be the power, because there was no test for that...all the motherboard, hard drive etc., tests passed...
Oh, I did talk to a friend of mine who has a friend who works on computers...I am going to talk to the computer friend...so, perhaps I will be able to get some answers...
I do want to thank you, again...it has helped having someone to "talk" to....
I am not confident that this will be the last time that I am on this board...but I will let you know what the computer friend finds (if anything!)

Okay, keep us up-to-date. If your friend or a friend of a friend can test your power supoply via multimeter please have him do so.

I'm baaaccckkk...

Well, I knew that it wouldn't last...a couple of days ago, my computer started misbehaving again...It had been working fine since my last post here...but, this time, I am not getting any beeps like I was before...I turn on the pc and the monitor says "no input signal" then it goes to sleep...I have tried new cables, tried hooking the monitor to my son's pc (worked fine there), tried reseating the video card (I think)..where the monitor cable plugs into the pc, that is the gizmo that I took out and put it back in...I still have not been able to get anyone to check the power supply...but without the beeps, could this be some other problem?

Could be the motherboard but if you could take the power supply to a tech shop and have them test it that is the first thing I would do because psu's are easier to deal with than motherboards.

Not the psu...

Well, I removed the psu and got a replacement, at Staples...Replaced it into my pc....Same old problems...so I guess that I am looking at a motherboard...Am I correct in assuming that replacing a motherboard is not for the faint of heart? I was nervous at first changing the psu, but it wasn't bad...I am rather proud of myself for even attempting it...then, when I had to take the new one out and replace the old one, I am a pro at that!! So...please help if you can...

Baby steps are always good! :grinthumb Yes, replacing a motherboard is better left -- at first -- for somebody to show you how. Removing it is not the main issue though; its putting all the cables and such back to the correct place.

Once you do it though it suddenly dawns on you that it isn't really hard to do. Is there someone you know who can show you? That is how a lot of us learned.

no...

Unfortunately, there is no one to show me how...there is a computer guy (I don't know him, but he runs a computer repair shop) whom I might ask what he would charge to do it...But I am also thinking of looking for a new computer...any thoughts on which make is the best?...simple gaming, transfering home video and internet surfing, email, that stuff...not much else. Thank you...again...it has meant a lot to have someone to whom I can ask all these questions!

If you want to purchase a new system there are two questions you need to ask and answer first because it helps us help you: a) What will you use it for? (which you already answered) and b) What is your budget?

How old is this system?

I bought my computer in January 2006. 2 years ago, it had to have the hard drive and the dvd drive replaced...As far as my budget is concerned...I would like to spend as little as possible, but I know that if I go too cheap I am going to get a cheap product! So, I would like to keep it under $700, but if the right, very reliable computer was a bit more than that, I would consider it...Any suggestions? This computer is a HP...the other two that I have had were also HP...my son has a Gateway, and it is also 4 years old, but he doesn't seem to have any problems with it...Thanks

I know plenty of people who have Gateways with problems but not HP. Sometimes it is the individual system rather than the product line as a whole but there have been major exceptions whereby a certain series model has serious issues and amany customers complain.

My best suggestion to you is to go to our General Hardware forum and post there about your needs. Answer the questions I gave you in your first post there. Also tell them of your contiuning issues.

You'll get excellent feedback/advice. Personally I would consider no less than Windows 7 as the operating system. XP will no longer be supported by 2014 and I don't think computer companies like HP, etc. even offer XP anymore.

Also consider the 64-bit over the 32-bit.

Thanks again for your input...I had already figured that I would go with Windows 7...as you said, I figured that it would obsolete within a few years...I will take your suggestions! Enjoy your time away from the computer, for whatever reason!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back